Herp Lover Needed Urgenly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Now, Let Us See

:D:lol:Just spoken to nsw npws & they are chasing the council & developers to gain permission for a small group of LICENCED keepers & breeders to catch SOME OF the heathy specimens.:p ANYONE WHO MAYBE INTERESTED IN JOINING THE GROUPE WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE DETAILS8);)

It is usually a condition of development that during demolition / clearing works on site that a qualified fauna catcher/spotter is there to catch and relocate animals.

With NPWS approval we'd be interested in helping out. Keep us updated.

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems such a waste of perfectly good herps.

And indeed, it certainly is a big waste of perfectly good herps, but that's no reason to make a bad situation even worse. It is so admirable that you are so keen to help, but it's important to take action which is going to help, rather than just taking action. If an area of habitat is being destroyed, the sad reality is that the available habit is going to be reduced and so will the population of reptiles (and other animals). We can't just expect to be able to remove all the animals from every development site, put them somewhere else and expect the new sites to maintain their original populations as well as all of the new animals. Each area can only support so many, and nature finds that balance by itself. If you add more than nature can sustain, nature kills the excess. The reality is, their only proper home is being destroyed and we can't change that. Putting them into someone else's home is a destructive thing to do (even though it is often done with the support of the government - let's face it, the government can't even get economic policy right when that's its specialty! We can hardly expect them to get environmental policy right when they don't even care about it!). Unless we can create a new home for them, the best thing to do is not interfere (yes, I know, it's extremely sad, but the alternatives are worse). To give them new homes, we either need to bring them into captivity, or create new habitat for them - which might involve the bulldozing of a shopping center or industrial area very close to the current development, revegetating it and waiting a few years. In this age of urban sprawl, that sort of thing happens VERY infrequently and I suggest it isn't worth persuing.

From here, I will withdraw from this thread. You can lead a horse to water but you can not force it to drink. My head hurts, it's upsetting to see support for negative action and I am too busy to beat my head against this wall any further.

And indeed, it certainly is a big waste of perfectly good herps, but that's no reason to make a bad situation even worse. It is so admirable that you are so keen to help, but it's important to take action which is going to help, rather than just taking action. If an area of habitat is being destroyed, the sad reality is that the available habit is going to be reduced and so will the population of reptiles (and other animals). We can't just expect to be able to remove all the animals from every development site, put them somewhere else and expect the new sites to maintain their original populations as well as all of the new animals. Each area can only support so many, and nature finds that balance by itself. If you add more than nature can sustain, nature kills the excess. The reality is, their only proper home is being destroyed and we can't change that. Putting them into someone else's home is a destructive thing to do (even though it is often done with the support of the government - let's face it, the government can't even get economic policy right when that's its specialty! We can hardly expect them to get environmental policy right when they don't even care about it!). Unless we can create a new home for them, the best thing to do is not interfere (yes, I know, it's extremely sad, but the alternatives are worse). To give them new homes, we either need to bring them into captivity, or create new habitat for them - which might involve the bulldozing of a shopping center or industrial area very close to the current development, revegetating it and waiting a few years. In this age of urban sprawl, that sort of thing happens VERY infrequently and I suggest it isn't worth persuing.

From here, I will withdraw from this thread. You can lead a horse to water but you can not force it to drink. My head hurts, it's upsetting to see support for negative action and I am too busy to beat my head against this wall any further.

What you have said is true
over population in places is a negative thing but there are also many places where these animals could live where their numbers are few.
Its just a case of finding the right place to relocate them, they dont all have to be placed in the same area, we could spread them out a bit and give them a fighting chance.

:D:lol:Just spoken to nsw npws & they are chasing the council & developers to gain permission for a small group of LICENCED keepers & breeders to catch SOME OF the heathy specimens.:p ANYONE WHO MAYBE INTERESTED IN JOINING THE GROUPE WATCH THIS SPACE FOR MORE DETAILS8);)
Someone's leading you up the garden path. NPWS will never agree to this, it would be a legal and insurance nightmare.

I think most of them would be gone now anyway after it being made public on an open forum.

Just a little info on the wildlife reports that are done on areas to be developed. I am a builder and have built for developers who have employed proper organisations to supply very detailed and expensive and impressive reports on some sites that I have worked on. Coming from a bush background and having an interest in wildlife myself, ( i can recognise a number of animal tracks) I always find these reports disapointing. The reason is that they are done quickly, sometimes in the middle of winter, and though they state that persons have camped out and conducted surveys, I seriously beleive that they camped out, went to the pub at nite, and the beach at day and got a paid holiday. These reports are not worth the paper they are written on or the time it takes to read it.
I have found more signs of life on one property in 4 hrs then these people reckon they found in two weeks.

Went for a quick herp just now in the national park and on the way back decided to have a look.
Jumped the fence (pretty sure some of my flesh is still on the barbed wire! lol).
I found heaps of ducks,a re,blue and black bird that thought it was a duck (or just dressed up for Australia day),heaps of minor birds nesting in the cliffs,but no herps.
That's what i thought till i tried another bit and found a water dragon and a little bluie in a piece of pvc pipe.He had no ticks all his toes etc.I hummed and hahed about taking it and moving itbut in the end just left him :(

Good on ya mate

Just found this thread.
I'd be interested if anything goes down.
I've got nice bush right in front of my place, and our bluey population has been lacking recently.
A pregnant mother just got squshed right in front of my car last week. It had at least three babies that popped out prematurely :(

I have driven past that place a million times and never thought there be to many animals in there ....
Have you ever looked down on it?
I'm like you and thought that it's nothing but rubble and a few trees. Little did I know there's a secret oasis hidden by the crap in there:
aerialel6.png

No worries

:Dto all who say they are happy to help I will keep you all posted & to sdaji I do hear what you are saying :)& I also agree.But hay, No harm in talking about it. ;)
Thank you all for your input

Is that the Loch ness monster i see in there? :)

It looks easy to get down to that water in the picture, but it's not.The bit where all the cars are parked there is quite a high drop and on the two sides.(saw the water dragon down there)The other side has quite thick lantana etc and i couldn't get down there.On the right closest to the water is a large concrete slab.Near that is a pile of flipped over concrete.
To the right of that is a boulder with 3 white pvc pipes that i dragged out.The bluie was in there.

entry

Is that the Loch ness monster i see in there? :)

It looks easy to get down to that water in the picture, but it's not.The bit where all the cars are parked there is quite a high drop and on the two sides.(saw the water dragon down there)The other side has quite thick lantana etc and i couldn't get down there.On the right closest to the water is a large concrete slab.Near that is a pile of flipped over concrete.
To the right of that is a boulder with 3 white pvc pipes that i dragged out.The bluie was in there.
if you check out the street where the cars are parked you will find a hole in the fence;). { Near where the blue arrow is}. Once inside turn left & walk very carefuly till you hit the fence again. making a right angle { at this point youll be at the bottom right corner of the pick}. then your at the easy entry to the water :).on the pic its near the factorys boardering the area.
I DO NOT RECOMEND ANY LOOK SEEING AFTER RAIN. ITS TO DANGEROUS silllllpry & such.:lol::oops::p
If you see the ducks on the body board say hi for me:lol:

Have you tried the press? If enough noise is made someone will have to listen. Start with the local paper & point out that the animal groups you have approached can't/won't help. Be loud & in their face. I wish I was there to help!

heads up IM going to the press

Have you tried the press? If enough noise is made someone will have to listen. Start with the local paper & point out that the animal groups you have approached can't/won't help. Be loud & in their face. I wish I was there to help!
Ok last chance for me. Im going to the press:rolleyes:

if you check out the street where the cars are parked you will find a hole in the fence;). { Near where the blue arrow is}. Once inside turn left & walk very carefuly till you hit the fence again. making a right angle { at this point youll be at the bottom right corner of the pick}. then your at the easy entry to the water :).on the pic its near the factorys boardering the area.
I DO NOT RECOMEND ANY LOOK SEEING AFTER RAIN. ITS TO DANGEROUS silllllpry & such.:lol::oops::p
If you see the ducks on the body board say hi for me:lol:

Alright cheers.
I jumped the fence up to the left near the shops (you can see others have done it fron the squashed barbed wire.
On the way out i jumped over near the Bp and the units.
Some old guy walking his dog said to me (agter i just jumped out) said "Hey, you can't go in there!"
Um, i'm not going in i'm coming out!:?

Good luck with it! Which press? The Leader?

Had a look through the hole in the fence today.
As soon as we went through the hole i saw little garden skinks and some water skinks.(that's as far as we went today).
I did see the ducks on the bodyboard (it's blue right) and the had 2 little babies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back