Herping Help

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamR

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Ive recently been on many walks in the bush to take photos of reptiles among many things. Ive seen lots of skinks and a couple of eastern water dragons. But I havent found any snakes. This could be due to many reasons such as there may not be many snakes where i look, i may be looking in the wrong places or i may be walking at the wrong times. I cant really change the places immediately but where should are snakes normally found ie. on the path, under rocks, up trees and what times are better ie. morning, evening, night, midday. I would appreciate any help people can spare.

Adam

Adam, if your out looking for snakes, just be careful, youre bound to find something venomous !!
croc.gif

You need to do a few things.

a) walk VERY slow, snakes will bolt into the scrub if there spotted or if they see fast movement.
b) also it help to walk slow because you see more and can look more closely at different areas.
c) snakes can be anywhere, just luck really, could be up a tree but mainly it will be on the side of a path, or crossing one if your lucky.
d) if there is water nearby then chances are you might see a few more around there if your looking for red bellies especially.

Goodluck

Keep your ears open.
The sound a snake makes as it slithers away is very distinct.
Look around water courses, that's where you are likely to see snakes during the day.
Night is best.

Alright thanks for the advice. I usually walk around water courses most of the time, mainly cos you get nicer photos than on most tracks. I'll just have to keep at it. If anyone is interested in doing some walks I'd love to go with someone with a little more experience than myself.

Adam

Can't you get him a job at the golf course Pugs. You seem to have the best success as work?

I always try to walk on rocks, even jumping from bushrock to bushrock instead of walking on noisy leaflitter as i dont want to give myself away. I also stand still for a few minutes and just look everywhere while standing in that one spot. Then i walk a bit more and stop again etc. I have a habit of looking up in the trees more than anywhere else. If you want to see snakes in daylight then you need to start early to observe them basking. Also you should be lifting solid objects like logs, slabs of bushrock and also look in thick vegetation. Any objects lifted should be place back the way you found them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back