Herping in Young,NSW

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mighty_Moose

Reaction score
Well I have been dying to get out and do some proper Herping but I started on my Nan's Farm. Here is just a few of the reptiles that I have found. I have found Bearded Dragons (babies and adults) and a large range of skinks (Blueys and many un-id'd) . There is also a gecko species that Is very prominent there but I have my theories but would love an ID. I did find something that I have never before seen in the 16 years I have been going to Young and that is this giant amphibian ( at first I thought it was a Toad but looks like a Frog)

This is my first time and I apologise if the photos are not awesome but hey I had fun :)

(P.s I have a lot of invert pictures that I have uploaded to another Forum but if you guys want I will gladly upload them here or direct you to them)

Cheers Zac

Attachments

• DSC_0001.jpg
    DSC_0001.jpg
    42.3 KB · Views: 188
  • DSC_0070.jpg
    DSC_0070.jpg
    23.7 KB · Views: 152
  • DSC_0063.jpg
    DSC_0063.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 156
  • DSC_0036.jpg
    DSC_0036.jpg
    136.9 KB · Views: 165
  • IMG_0119.jpg
    IMG_0119.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 194
Here is 2 more.

Attachments

• DSC_0033.jpg
    DSC_0033.jpg
    51.8 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_0143.jpg
    IMG_0143.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 130
They do feel nice, But honestly that MASSIVE Amphibian was a new touch sensation ;) I had to run and wash my hands before I picked it up haha. But I want to know if it was a Toad or Frog. With poor phone light I thought it was a Toad but then its eyes made me think Frog.. Hmm I probably sound very stupid right now :p haha

Thought so :) Yeah there is a LARGE amount of them and you often find them near the house because of the sheer amount of moths that come to the bright light haha. But as you can see there is a variation in their colours. I'll try to find the picture of the baby that was near a few large spiders haha.

I also found this gecko with large lumps on its neck. Have my theories but want to know if that means this little gecko is a big boy? or something else. I also liked this picture to show the GIANT moth dwarfing the frog haha. They were flying straight into the window:D

P.s Do you guys know what species that large frog is ?

Attachments

• IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 115
  • DSC_0062.jpg
    DSC_0062.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 141
Last edited by a moderator:
The frog is a pobblebonk (Limnodynastes dumerili) and the gex are marbled geckos (Christinus marmoratus) I think.

Wow thank you ! Never ever heard of a Pobblebonk and I have never seen one before.

Usually see lots of pobblebonk's at night after rain in summer, I used to live at Gundagai saw lots there

Wow that would of been a good find :) Does anyone know why the geckos are almost white at night and grey during the day ?

The large frog is Limnodynastes interioris, contact NPWS about this sighting as they are threatened.

The smaller frogs are Litoria peronii

The geckos are Christinus marmoratus

The skink is Morethia boulengeri

Cheers,
Scott

yes they are threatened....

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back