Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nathan09

Reaction score
Hey Guys.

my names nathan, i live in South australia i'm 19 years old. and i am new to reptile forums. :p

heres a little about what i have, what im doing and what ive got planned.

i currently have a 4-5 year old 45cm Inland Bearded dragon (named: Scuttles) and he lives in a 120cmL x 70cmW x 70cmH enclosure, loves to be held, pat, kissed lol you name it and i feed him thawed frozen mouse.

i am currently building a large cabinet at the moment planned to house: 1x Woma Python......possibley 2 (1male 1 female) and either, 1x water python or 2x water dragons.
at this stage im plannin on 1x Water python (there beautifull)

the cabinet will be, 180cm tall, 150cm wide, and 70cm deep.
it consists of 2x enclosure sections: 70cm tall, 150cm wide and 70cm deep.
and 1 cabinet section (at the bottom) 40cm tall, 150cm wide, 70cm deep for storage and the water system for the water python or water dragons: pond (resest), water fall and possibley mist system.

feel free to comment on anything, if u beleive the cabinet isnt right....please, tell me, i wanto provide the best for my future scaley family :D

oh and sorry if this is post'd in the wrong section i had a look and this was the only logical spot i could find :p

peace :)

This is Scuttles and his Home. :)
27092009455.jpg

27092009452.jpg

Is that all you feed your dragon?

They love all types of foods not just mice.

Do you have a UV fluro in the enclosure?

mice arnt good for beardies,u should only give him 1 a month or something ....give him crickets-woodies-fruit-veg feeding him mice is cutting his life short.

LOL well im gunna be the first person to actually say hi to nathan. HI NATHAN!!! LOL

haha thanks chicken snake, hi to you.

yea i feed him other stuff, crickets, moths, dosnt much like vegies but i chuck em in there anyway once a week etc and wot ever i find around the house rainmoths (loves! rainmoths) but frozen thawed mice is his main meal with the others in between.

oh and yea, theres a heat lamp in there (in first pic, white bulb) its a none light emiting heat lamp. and now has a heat matt under his new house i mad in there too if its too cold at night when i turn the lamp off.

uMM. im not positive but im pretty sure, HEAT MATTS are actually bad for beardies. Its got something to do with they bask for their warmth and the underneath heat harms them in some way. ??????? Not positive though

yea there not, but its set to a low setting around 20-25o incase the temp of the enclosure gets to cold at night (with the lamp off) so he dosnt totaly freeze :p

Oh ok then lol i dont really need to worry about the temps where i live iv fine tuned the earth as my thermostat lol. Its the perfect temps for my pythons at all times except winter

Hey mate, welcome. It's good to see more South Aussies.

You appear to know what you're doing in regards to warmth and temps and your plans sounds great but I would strongly suggest you install a light batten and second globe connection in order to provide your dragon with both UVA and UVB wavelengths.

Apart from that, well done!

bearded dragon menu...

there are 5 different categories in which we have devided good and bad foods to feed your dragon.
These categories are... FEED DAILY (safe to feed every day), FEED OCCASIONALLY (safe to feed occasionally), FEED RARELY (as a treet once in a blue moon), QUESTIONABLE (probably good to keep away from these foods, can cause diarrhea), and NEVER FEED ( NEVER FEED!!!).

FEED DAILY:

Crickets
(bearded dragons are mostly insectivorous for the first stage of their life, preferring to eat nothing but live insects. Especially the eastern bearded ,pogona barbata, which remains mostly insectivorous for the term of its life. Even though live food may make up 90% of the diet at first still offer the other foods below in small quantities to start with.
Be sure to dust the crickets with a calcium supplement and "gut load" them by feeding a variety of foods to the crickets just prior to offering them.)

Woodies ( woodland, or speckled feeder cockroach.)

Collard Greens: staple.

Dandelion Greens

Mustard Greens

Silkworm: Contain an enzyme called serrapeptase, this has properties that make calcium absorption more efficient, may only be avaliable seasonably.

Squash, (Acorn, butternut, hubbard, scallop, summer, Spaghetti)

Turnip Greens

FEED OCCASIONALLY:

Apple (peeled)

Apricot

Asparagus

Basil

Beans, Green

Beans, Kidney

Beans, Lima

capsicum

Blackberries

Blueberries

Bok Choy

Cabbage

Carrots

Celery (stalk & leaves)

Cherries

Clover

Cranberries

Cucumber (peeled)

Earthworm

Figs

Grape Leaves

Grapefruit

Grapes

Guava

Hibiscus, Rosella

Leeks

Lemon Grass

Mango

Nectarine

Orange, Mandarin

Papaya

Parsnip

Peach

Pear

Peas, Snap

Pepperment Leaves

Pineapple

Plum

Pumpkin (raw)

Raisins (seedles)

Rosemary

Turnip

Watermelon

Zucchini

FEED RARELY:

Banana: High phosphorus

Beans, Soybeans

Broccoli (raw)

Cauliflower

Chives

Corn, Yellow

Egg (whole, hard boiled)

Kiwi

Lettuce, Red Leaf

Lettuce, Romaine

Mealworm

Olives (canned, pitted)

Parsley

Peas, Green

Pomegranate

Potato, Russet (cooked)

Potato, Sweet (cooked)

Raspberries

Rice (brown, long grain)

Rutabaga

Sprouts, Brussel

Tomato, Red

QUESTIONABLE:

Beef

Bread,

Chicken (cooked)

Eggplant (raw)

Lettuce, Loose Leaf: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Lettuce, Iceburg: Poor nutritional value, can cause diarrhea

Mushroom, Portabella (raw): WARNING - some mushrooms can be very toxic to Beardies.

Spinach

Swiss Cheese

Tofu (soft, raw)

NEVER FEED:

Avocado: Highly toxic!

Bran, Wheat: Highly toxic!

Rhubarb: Highly toxic!

hope that helps ..... its somthing i found very useful i found on the net .....

hey, cheers rocket, yea i dont know anything about UVA and UVB or even why ya ment to have a UV globe :p, always just thought they need right temprature and thats it :? ima look it up now tho, thanks :D

as u guys can tell im no expert, but i knwo the bassics :)

Bearded dragons need uvb bulbs to allow them to absorb calcium and vitamin D3. Without proper uvb exposure they will become calcium deficient which progresses to metabolic bone disease. This is characterized by partial paralysis, improper growth, and other health problems. It is eventually fatal.

ahh, thankyou jak.

im gonna head out 2 moro and get one, cheers for that.

see, had him for 4-5 years now and im still learning somthing new everyday.

oh btw he goes outside when im home nad its sunny so he does get some light, his not stuck inside al the time :p, but yea need a uv light for sure.

cheers guys

can the uv light be placed ontop of the enclosure. ive heard uv can go through glass. i got my 2 baby beardies this week and just wanna do everything right for them.

hi nathan, hope u enjoy usin this site.
glass, prespex, plastics all that stuff filter out uvb (thats y u wear plastic lensed goggles when skiing)

Will

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back