Hi All

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah

Reaction score
i joined a while back but have been lurking on and off , i keep cichlids , catfish, and currently run 6 tanks and i also have a eclectus parrot, my husband is keen on a snake we have children so im not sure its a good mix , though im more concerned about my parrot, anyone keep snakes and parrots , our bird lives indoors, and do you tend to keep your snakes outside or in a garage or in the house .

cheers

Sarah

most people on here keep indoor enclosures, be it in a garage or in their rooms (me). unless you have or get a snake that is from your area, its best to keep it indoors. in regards to the parrot being in danger... you should be ok so long as you dont give both free reign at the same time and even then, monitor them closely... the snake anyway :)
Welcome to the site to :)

Ian

Hi and welcome.

I have 3 kids and the youngest is 19 months old, they are ok around kids if the owner is responsible (which im sure ou husband should be :) )
Cant help with the bird bit as I dont have one anymore. I have 2 snakes in my lounge room.

thanks very much for the welcome , well im in Melbourne so it gets pretty cold in winter so imagine throughout winter it would have to be inside, my youngest is 18months old and our older two are 7 and 9 , we were going to go out and have a look at some reptile displays/shops today but left it too late , ive heard the city store is ok and amazing amazon but that store is on the other side of town for us, i definitely would not have them out at the same time, besides my parrot is far too inquisitive,

cheers

Sarah

Sarah said:
i joined a while back but have been lurking on and off , i keep cichlids , catfish, and currently run 6 tanks and i also have a eclectus parrot, my husband is keen on a snake we have children so im not sure its a good mix , though im more concerned about my parrot, anyone keep snakes and parrots , our bird lives indoors, and do you tend to keep your snakes outside or in a garage or in the house .

cheers

Sarah

Welcome Sarah !
I have a Parrot in the house, but just keep her away from the snake room.
I also have a 4 year old and find kids in general love the snakes, just make sure you are confident, and your kids will be to.

All the best.

Neil

RE: Re: Hi All

Welcome to the site ! i keep my birds and snakes inside ! i am looking at getting a eclectus great birds ! got any pics of your's you wanna share? what ya got male or female?

where abouts in melbourne are you im sure someone on here could point you in the right direction of a good pet shop around your area!

sarah, out of 5 kids we only have 1 that is not to keen on playing with our snakes this is is only due to the fact that she hates the feel, but loves them none the less. I feel that it you make your kids a part of your hobby they will learn along with you and grow up to be great herpers. All of our snakes are very placid and i think this is because many hands make light work and our snakes never miss play time.

Hi Sarah, welcome to the site,, you`ll love all the characters here.. I am only new to all of this aswell, found heaps of info here. cant go wrong.. Ive only gotten my first snake about 6mnths ago (definately wont be my last)and i have a 5 year old daughter. She took awhile to be comfortable with him but once she got used to him shes asking me to get him out all the time..she loves him as much as i do. Shes learning as much about them as i am. Nothing like starting them young I say.

Welcome! I have an Eccy that lives indoors, right next the Murry Darling enclosure. I cant see any problems with with keeping birds near reptiles other than making sure that the bird does not have mites or other parasites that can be transfered to the snake. Oh and that the snake doesnt eat the bird.

And good choice on the Ecclectus! they really are awsome birds.

Eccys and gang gangs are my fav!!!!
I have a sugarglider that I hand-reared, who shares a loungeroom with 4 pythons and 3 tree snakes!!! I just dont handle the lounge room snakes while she's active.. or I'll get the someone to hold her while I take the snake into another room.
TRUST ME.. If you can look after an eccy, you can look after a snake!!
P.s. what sex is your eccy? Theyre so awesome!!!! Also wondering what ciclids you keep?? I breed them too..

P.p.s. While the snake is a juvinile, I would be more concerned about possible damage to it from the bird, than the other way around..

hi eveyrone thanks for all your replies, sorry i have been absent for a few days , my eclectus is a boy his name is Archie he is about 8 months old and very sweet, im in the west suburbs i will see if i can post a pic of him he is moulting at the moment so not in the best of feather we got him from a breeder , i breed african cichlids and have a couple of display tanks and i also keep catfish,

cheers

Sarah

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back