Hi Everyone

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Fantazmic

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone

I would like to introduce myself on behalf of myself and my hubby. Last weekend we strolled into a pet shop and saw a pair of coastal pythons and absolutely fell in love.

Two things stopped us from buying....firstly we know nothing about snakes...at all.....and secondly there is something about buying animals from petshops that really doesnt agee with us. We breed and show staffies and knowing about the horrible puppy farming that goes on we hesitated. Maybe it is different with snakes.....we just wearnt sure. Already from my reading it was obvious the enclosure the poor things were in was way tooo small.....first warning sign.

So here we are on your list wanting to find out as much as we can before deciding to bring a snake...or snakes into our home.

I am going to firstly be doing my homework by reading the threads on the forum to try and learn. If I still have questons I am hoping that I can post and someone out there will patiently answer my questions.

Something I am wondering about though...and this is going to sound funny. Are there responsible snake 'breeders' out there? I'm sure there are and I just need to find them !!(like there are dog breeders in the dog world) Hubby and I would love to be able to actually talk to someone who knows about snakes and to be able to see some snakes. We really feel we would like to buy our snakes from someone who has a good name and is doing the right thing as far as breeding the snakes etc. We know from our experience with our beloved dogs that good things are worth waiting for !!

Also....are there snake shows like dog shows ? (I know I sound mad)

Anyway....looking forward to chatting and learning.

Regards

Elizabeth and Wesley

Welcome,
How about adding your state to your profile ? it may result in people sending you details of breeders they have dealt with, you can also check out Positive Feedback - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

Check here for a lot of the basic information, like what size your potential purchase can get to.... in the case of those adorable Coastals you saw, the average is 3 metres, thats a lot of snake to house.....

Frequently Asked Questions - Aussie Pythons & Snakes

have fun, look lots and we will be gladly be here to answer all the 'dumb' questions
http://www.aussiepythons.com/wiki/Frequently-Asked-Questions

Welcome....

Yeah I agree with JAX... Add some more details about where you live perhaps... You might have some offers of people willing to show you their snakes, and offering of advice.....

Certainly do some background work before buying, about the Sellers details and Experience, and requirements for your snake...

Enjoy.... :) Rick

Hi everyone
I just had a look and I cant work out how to get into my profile to add info....I will have to have a look tomorrow as I am about to go to the land of nod......
I am in melbourne if that helps
Regards

Elizabeth

Oh and the coastals we saw were about 2 meters or so......we loooved them.
So yes we know from our reading they get big......
We just need to know more about them..as to whether we think we could handle them etc

Cheers

Elizabeth

You need to go to - USER CP -

Then - EDIT YOUR DETAILS -

And yes Coastals can get big... Up to about 3 Metres.... Lovely though... I used to have 4 of them... And at one stage an aditional 13 Hatchies, that I bred too.... :O

I have a 2yo Coastal that has just been measured at 5ft, I have no fear of aggression from her, Handling her seems too vary between trying to stop a handfull of Jelly falling on the floor and trying to lift a car with a chopstick,.... when she decides she's hanging onto something and doesnt want to let go, like her branch, the dining chair the curtain rail, then its just a big waiting game for her to unlock the 5ft of muscle

HI all
Thanks for the responses
I will go and edit my details
I have just bought myself a book on pythons on ebay for 99c...gotta love ebay
So its all good
We are not sure about a coastal, one minute i think yes next minute I think my goodness such a big snake...will I cope.
So I think after doing some reading to get my head around having a snake I think I will be looking to go and visit some breeders to look at some snakes and talk to someone who has had lots of experience before making up my mind
Regards
Elizabeth

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back