Hi Jungle python queries

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mitchells

Reaction score
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and its the first post :)
i realise the questions have been asked before and i tried searching for them but for instance i searched jungle temperature and the main post came up and i started looking through a few pages and found just pics of peoples snakes and then i saw that there was 101 pages. So please forgive me if you end up answering these sorts of questions. I also looked on google at care sheets but some were american, and I'd like to know the tried and tested methods of us aussies. Cheers

About a month ago i started building this viv for my centralian almost a year old. Then it unfortunately decided to escape :( , i was aware of how cunning they are and im still not 100% sure how it got out. anyway i kept building it and this is the final product (minus some hides and infared lamps etc) and i now have a beautiful jungle that is picture in its old home while the viv was getting built. I call her chomper :) she is VERY VERY placid apparently good considering jungles are snappy. She is about 4ft maybe bigger (i was told it was a girl - presumably it had been probed)

IMG_1471.jpgIMG_1474.jpgIMG_1473.jpg

the snake loves to climb, i fed it weaner rats as that's what the previous owner did but the other day i fed it a medium rat and it did fine.

So my questions are,

How important is humidty. i have a water bowl on the cool side (RHS) and i was wondering whether it would be good to buy another little one to put on the basking deck? I also just bought a humidty measure thing on ebay (a brand i have seen in stores - not the 98c ones from hong kong). Should i be misting

Temprature. Currently i have a heat mat under the astro turf and a heat rock that are on a digital thermostat at 29c and i have infared lights but i dont have cages on them yet so i dont turn them on. I have read that SOME people don't use heat at all in their jungle enclosures so I'm presuming this is ok for the snake. So what is the IDEAL temp for cold/warm sides and day and night?

My current set up once the bulb cages come is a red infared bulb for day and a purple/black one for night time - it's in my room so i dont want a red one at night. They both are above the basking spot on the LHS and below the basking spot is the heat rock and heat mat for ground heating. Both heat sources are digitally controlled and the lights are all thermostated and timered. Does this sound good?

there is a cynablock on the bottom as a hide and and it covers warm and cool side. and I also have a wood log hide on its way.

any ideas on improving the viv... maybe more plants? my centralian love to curl up in plants...

Thanks for all your help guys and girls. much appreciated :)

to much to remember haha, but put your heat mat on the outside of the tank & please do not use the heatrock haha seen them things do nasty things. & with the humidity, dont go to over board 1 water dish is enough, just make sure its big enough for him to have a soak in:)
with the heat lights, chuck them in the bin, them red infared lights are useless, change it to a ceramic heat emitter & a normal light buld that jusy produces light:)

Last edited:
Haha yeah sorry about the essay. the base is a thick 18mm mdf, do you reckon the heat will make it through, plus its under the grass?

Oh ok :S what happens with those heat rocks?

dont use the heat matt thenits to much of a riskputting it inside the tank even if it is under the turf.

them heat rocks do nasty things, seen cases were they have even burn a person fro only half hour use. its hard to explain really

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back