Hi - maybe future snake owner here

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxana

Reaction score
Hi,

I have long liked snakes and now that my 15yo daughter is interested too, I am considering actually getting one. Currently considering a Stimsons but we will see - I am the type to research obsessively and think about things a lot! We are in Melbourne and have only had cats and dogs before; snakes are definitely a change!

Hey Roxana! Welcome to the group. I was in a similar position…loved snakes forever but wasn’t able to have one for many years. I also research to the max and wanted to be as well informed and prepared as possible.

I’ve had my girl (an adult Murray Darling carpet python) for about four months now and I have absolutely zero regrets. In fact, I’m hoping to get a second snake later this year 🙂

If you still have cats keep in mind they could spook each other, snakes behave differently if they get stressed out and might not eat, but I'm pretty sure many people have cats around snakes with no issues. I would just have a back up plan in mind if the cats try getting to them for any reason

If you still have cats keep in mind they could spook each other, snakes behave differently if they get stressed out and might not eat, but I'm pretty sure many people have cats around snakes with no issues. I would just have a back up plan in mind if the cats try getting to them for any reason
Definitely a good idea to have a management plan for the comfort of all. I have three cats and two dogs but they are always locked in another room if the snake is having out time. When she’s in her enclosure, two cats pay no attention (and the snake doesn’t seem to care about them either) but the third cat would be the type to jump on the enclosure and be a general pain in the **** so he isn’t given access to the area where she is kept and neither are the dogs.

I imagine dogs to be more curious then cats too. before my dog passed last year over the years he's killed any pest around the house, mostly any rats he found but a few blueys and snakes unfortunately. Dogs are usually protective so I would probably do the same.

Back