Hi, new to owning snakes.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadowborn

Reaction score
Hi all, I have recently made the decision to get a pet python, in particular a Spotted Python. I have not owned a snake before, or even held one, so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I am not scared of snakes (though my mother, who I live with, has adamantly stated I can only get one if it stays in the tank, cleaning time excluded, during which she will not be home lol), though my inexperience with them could lead to a lot of mistakes, which I would obviously rather avoid.

That leads into a question, which would probably be more of a huge favour than anything. Is there anyone on the Gold Coast who has a python similar in size to the Spotted Pythons, who would be willing to show me the safe way to deal with snakes? I know they aren't a handle-whenever-you-want pet, but I want to make sure I can actually handle it properly for the times it is necessary, so I don't hurt it, or get myself bitten needlessly.

Thanks,

Rhys aka Shadowborn.

hello and welcome,sorry can't help but i am sure someone from your area will reply/help good luck mate and dont forget the pics

my brother has snakes and hes just insane with picking them up, if the snake is facing him i think he slides his hand across the ground or if hes up high just make sure you hand is below it so your hand doesnt look like a threat i guess and pick him up from underneath. but im no expert and i coule be dead wrong so maybe a vetaran here can give you some help? Mitch

Get yourself a book called care of Australian reptiles in captivity by john weigel

@sphag: I am not that confident I could just do that. I would be way to scared the first time I tried.

@elapid: Thanks, I will add it to the list of things to get prior to acquiring the snake.

I don't know whats in your area but it sounds like it might be best to seek a local or close by reptile club or association. I certainly wouldn't be diving straight into buying a snake having never dealt with one before. Reptile clubs have very knowledgeable and friendly persons who would be more than happy to part with some knowledge and may even be able to give you a go with one of their pythons.

I can't help you out with the physical how to, but I do suggest if you are not confident then the best way to approach picking up a snake is with a snake hook or (if you are feeling cheap) an old wire coat hanger bent similar to a snake hook.

But you are right, experience will be more valuable to you than anything else. Hopefully someone close will stick their hand up. If not, maybe try the local pet store and ask if they know anyone?

If you come up to Brissy any time before I move in February I can show you my Spotted and how I handle him.

gare2eva.jpg

Have you seen the free lesson Pet city is doing this sunday? There will be a reptile show as well :) the lessons at 1 why not make a day of it? Take oldestmagician up on his offer?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back