hides for larger snakes

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nicholaskostyk

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey, i was wondering which would be best to use for bhps, centralians, womas etc
i know there not the largest species but i was just curious on what to use as there hides and maybe some popular websites where they might be for sale or a do it yourself idea?
cheers, anyway guys nick

I use bird breeding boxes for my bigger snakes, and for a quick fix cut a door way out of a gift box. These ones aren't very suited for outdoors but the bird boxes work well.

I just used an ice cream container to make a 2nd one about 5 sec ago! My other hide is a log made of clay (I think!). This is working for me but im not sure how the ice cream container would go under heat or on top of heat?! Someone on here should be able to answer that who has more knowledge than me!

alright thanx alot for that do you just let them craw through the hole like normally a bird would do?

you could go to the hardware to see along the lines of pvc stormwater pipes,drains,etc,easy to modify and clean

I use an upside down garden pot (of the terracotta/clay variety). I cut out an entrance with an angle grinder, but you can also break them carefully, and then removed any sharp edges.

alright cheers for all your comments
im likeing the idea's
use to use ice cream containers for my spotteds but think it will be to small for my larger snakes
cheers, nick

i use the cocofibre liner used for hanging pot plant baskets. about $4, holds its shape, just cut a small hole in it and turn it upside down

alright cheers for all your comments
im likeing the idea's
use to use ice cream containers for my spotteds but think it will be to small for my larger snakes
cheers, nick

yer too true! I have a stimmie so its good for her!! hahah! My brother in law is on thos shake things 4 muscle gain and hes got a huge container that hold 3kg of protein shake stuff. if you know anyone whos in to it they may have one you could look at and see if it worked?! just an idea tho it still may not be big enough! sometimes restaurants get mayo in huge plastic containers they just throw away, they hold 5kg or more not sure, may be a good freebie!?!?!

We have several pretty big snakes in an aviary
Found some large hollow logs in the jungle here
Cut a 1/3rd section out of the top with a fine bladed saw cutting on a 45degree angle so that it holds itself in place tightly
Thickness of the logs provides insulation
Top can be removed if we have to get at the slitherer by simply lifting it out

Cardboard boxes are best , snakes love them , they are free and you just chuck them out when dirty or wet . Reuse , recycle . If looks are important pick out cool boxes , we always have Reebok or converse or something kicking around .

4litre ice cream containers first. When they outgrow those, I move to plastic dishwashing basins. Just put them upside down and cut a doorway. They are highly washable and easy to sterilize. Cardboard boxes are another option, but not always as good if they like to bask on top. My womas currently have hollow half logs which came in the winter firewood shipment. They may soon outgrow them with their incredible growth rate, but the logs look great. You can also use a few bricks and a big tile on top.

alright cheers for all ur post and time
its given me so many more ideas that i hadn't thought of.
cheers, nick

Big W have similar black tubs and are cheap enough. I use them for water containers for my bigger snakes so they have plenty of room to get in and soak.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back