hiya

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

westerner

Not so new Member
Reaction score
:lol: I thought it about time I wrote an introduction. I have been coming here for a few weeks now and have read some really interesting articles. I started this account for my son who has for the past 4 years wanted to get into owning a reptile. I think he really wants a stimpson but Im hesitant to start him off with a snake. I think I may have talked him into a western blue tongue. From what I have read they are a good starting point and there feeding habits and tastes are easily fulfilled. As we live on the west coast of this country I was wondering if there are any others out there that reside here...Its my understanding that no reptiles can be imported to this state and that south of Perth there is also no mite problem?
Any pointers or suggestions will be most grateful ...and I hope that my son soon begins to post a few of his own questions...

Thanks

A Newby

welcome!

theres nothing wrong with starting off with a snake, theyre much easier to look after than lizards and absolutely adorable!

if you want a lizard thats happy to be handled alot i'd suggest a beardy, but theyre a bit more work that bluetongues.

have fun,...post pics when u get something! :)

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. You mentioned that snakes are easier to look after than lizards. I was thinking along the lines of a western bluetongue. Could you please explain to me how snakes are easier. Im still learning here and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
A Newby

YAY another westerner!!!!! welcome to the site....I find IMO that lizards/stimmies are much of a muchness as far as ease of looking after...A stimmie would be a perfect snake to start with if you go down that road and are the most placid of snakes and not too big...If you need any help in choosing a place to buy from or just chatting to another west aussie feel free to pm me...

Regards...
Ash...

Hi Ash,

My son started off wanting a stimmson...I guess I was thinking that a western blue tongues food intake would be easier for me to supply. How many pinkies would a stimmi eat each week. Being way down south the thought of breeding them myself puts me off. We have enough wild vermin running around already. :rolleyes: ..Could you tell me what size requirements would be for the vivarium for a stimmi....

Any advice would be appreciated.... oh..sorry I didnt pm...am still working my way around this wonderful site.

A Newby

hahaha its all good...A bluey would be fine, as long as you can get the woodies/crickets etc...I have the opposite problem, i find it harder where i am to get these than mice...Not really experienced with Blueys, but a bunch of crickets/woodies every 10-14 days i would think, if similar food intake to beardies....An adult stimmie would prolly be a couple of adult mice or weener rats every 2ish weeks or for a bub, prolly about a fuzzy mouse each week till its older...

Regards...
Ash...

Hi Chris,

Thanks for the welcome. You mentioned that snakes are easier to look after than lizards. I was thinking along the lines of a western bluetongue. Could you please explain to me how snakes are easier. Im still learning here and any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
A Newby

my reasoning behind it is that snakes need feeding weekly instead of daily, less poo to clean up, food comes frozen whereas lizards need a constant supply of bugs, (which is either expensive or you also have bugs to look after) and just need heat instead of heat and UVB lights.
not lizards a hassle though, i was just saying that snakes are really really easy to look after..... :)

oh, and a stimmy would need a smaller cage than a blue tongue too. :)

Hi Chris,

thanks for the info....its greatly appreciated..There is so much to learn before we obtain our reptile ... again thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back