Home made mouse tub, food and water?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

hornet

Almost Legendary
Reaction score
I'm picking up a colony of supermice tomorrow and am making the tub from a plastic storage container. When making your own whats the easiest way to provide food and water?

i made a cradle for the water bottle out of heavy wire when i had them in a tank, and food was just in a bowl, tho that is very wasteful as they throw it all over the place.

thanks jen, i was thinking make a "basked" out of the wire for the food but why not do the same for the water :)

thats pretty much what i did - just a curled loop that held the water bottle at the right angle. I can visualise but probably not explain something for the food, but bear with me. A cylinder of wire - gaps would depend on the type of food - suspended from the top of the tub, just fill it with cubes or pellets and voila.

i was going to use wire for the lid so was going to build in the cylinder for food and one for the water bottle

I just got the mouse and rat tubs from the herp shop...... i used to keep them in my own plastic tubs but they never worked as well :( maybe my DIY skills are just crap hahahaha

This is what I did for rats. The food and water bottle go into the same wire cage

Attachments

• DSCF1511.jpg
    DSCF1511.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 170
  • DSCF1512.jpg
    DSCF1512.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 210
I was lucky enough to score 500 odd lab boxes from where I worked, so I will just be using one of the grid lids up on bricks for the grow out tank in the shed, water holder and food.

This is what I did for rats. The food and water bottle go into the same wire cage

Code red,
Is that snake/mouse wire or the larger 10mm stuff. I've always wondered if the snake/mouse wire would be too small for them to get the food out of.

Cheers,
Allan

Thats 10 mm wire. In hindsight I would use 5mm for the top and a hanging cage made from 10mm wire. Weaners can get through 10mm wire and escape. They struggle to get the food through 5mm wire unless its those small pellets like what Vella stock feeds make.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back