Home Remides???

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Oenpelli-Girl

Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if you can use surgical hand wash as a cleaner, sand from the sandpit and put i in the cage and why do people say Kitty Litter is bad?? I haven't done any of these things....yet......be4 i did i wanted to get ur opinion oh and can i just use sticks from outside or do i have to use fake plants?

Oenpelli-Girl aka Annie

p.s as usual- sorry 4 the spelling

some say that kitty litter is bad because when they are feed they could pick up a pellet or two and when they get wet they can expand and block up your snakes stomach and sometimes get caught in there wind pipe and kill them

You can use surgical hand wash as a cleaner but you need to consider cost and whether it kills germs/viruses that effect reptiles

What do you mean by getting rid of mites? On your Reptiles or on branches and bark Etc. If you are worried about things on branches or bark soak them overnight in F10 disinfectant, allow to dry the spray with Callingtons or the like.There are other methods as well like boiling water, Bi carb of soda and bleaching. This spray is amazing but keep your reptiles away from it for half an hour. If you have mites on your Reps then this spray is a must. Follow instructions all the way,if you cant find it check animal attraction link, he sells it.

1 other thing if i feed my snake know would it digest okay?
Annie

p.s current temp- 30.2 in cage 28 out side- time-6:49

With branches cut a fresh branch rather than use an old one thats been on the ground for a while. There will be far less parasites, insects on a healthy branch.Allow it to dry for a week or so.

Some people blast the sticks/branches with a high pressure sprayer and then wash them down in diluted bleach and leave them to dry in the sun for a few days. After they are dry they varnish them. That's just what I have heard.

To clean branches just put some bi carbonate soda in some boiling water.
And vinegar will clean your cages out well with it mixed with water.

1/4 vinegar...3/4 warm water....a house hold rubber squeegie to wash glass....reptile bags (put your hands in them to dry glass

i have the a contractor who cuts down over grown tree branches for my council the drop off any multi forked branches....they are free!... these are fresh cut..green branches
wait 2 weeks to use..they need to dry naturally

i use cleaned sand...from my local sand yard..landscape supplier...it what they use for pre-school sandpits
it has to be cleaned!
i shovel it in material bags...
the ones we now use for shopping....i get around 6-8 bags....never paid more than $4...total

kitty litter..isnt good..its made of chemical that absorb moisture...not great for any reptile!
also dragons will eat anything that will move...or if they think it has moved!

i couldnt find any reptile dishes at my local pet shop...they didnt stock any!
i used boiled sea shells for water & greens..for my hatchies
increased the size as needed
a cheap shallow lunch box ...deeper part for water...lid for greens
i use a shallow kitty litter tray for my adults...my gravid girls love to swim

if your unsure of depth for water but you have found a good size related dish....put pebbles in the water to make it not as shallow....avoids them drowning

hope any of this helps

i use a ointment with beeswax,tincture of benzoin(betadine)...& a few other oils depending on treatment needed...for broken skin..tears etc...but best always check with your vet first!

i bake my wood in the oven for 15-20mins at 180 degrees. then varnish em, easier to clean aswell,
i got no probs so far.

well....when the escape they get found in toasters...drawers...under neath the fridge
dont rightly think they will shrug off a white dish!..lol
most use the little round ramekins for snake hatchlings...they are white

as long as anything you use hasnt got sharp edges...is weighty enough that it wont tip it over
i think you'll be fine....;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back