Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Unserious answer - Sue them, not me!

Serious answer - Most doctors have hardly any experience with envenomations, so they will most probably call either Julian White in Adelaide or the guys at the AVRU in Melbourne for advice.

And what if the doctors have no experience in regards to snake bites or necrosis and have no idea what to do?

Wow, that's scary. Glad you're OK.

My whipsnake bite is nothing next to that.

Good luck with feeding Otis.
Louise, my Darwin, is a bit of a funny feeder.
She'll eat the rat but she won't ever strike it.
she'll slowly move her head up to it, slowly open her mouth and take it.

Unserious answer - Sue them, not me!

Serious answer - Most doctors have hardly any experience with envenomations, so they will most probably call either Julian White in Adelaide or the guys at the AVRU in Melbourne for advice.

Julian White was the person the Doctors were calling for advise when I was in Flinders. The made about five call to him during my first afternoon/nights stay.

Wow, that's scary. Glad you're OK.

My whipsnake bite is nothing next to that.

Good luck with feeding Otis.
Louise, my Darwin, is a bit of a funny feeder.
She'll eat the rat but she won't ever strike it.
she'll slowly move her head up to it, slowly open her mouth and take it.

Ta Joshua - good luck with Louise, at least she eats eh? She sure wouldnt survive in the wild!

AWWWWWW you getting rid of ottis LMS? thats sad .......have you tried talking to one of your local reptile zoo;s for some tips on how to get a hard feeder to eat? maybe they could help you out so you dont have to get rid of little ottis.............RBB

AWWWWWW you getting rid of ottis LMS? thats sad .......have you tried talking to one of your local reptile zoo;s for some tips on how to get a hard feeder to eat? maybe they could help you out so you dont have to get rid of little ottis.............RBB

The thing is RBB, I seriously think I have been sold a wild caught snake that was sold as a captive bred. There is no way this snake has been in contact with humans and will only eat live food - lizzies only - absolutely nothing else. If I get rid of little Otis, the chances are I will get an adult captive bred to replace him (wife allowing!) and if I can locate one.

Anyone selling?

Little Otis is so nervous, all he does is pop his head out really early in the morning but shoot back into his hide as soon as he spots us. He will then usually stay there for the rest of the day. I still love him and will be upset to see him go.

hello

Anybody know if it's harder to sell a RBB if he had tagged someone and is a bad feeder?

Good to see your ok. It wont be hard to get rid of it, though i would't.
Im sure a demonstrator would have it as a show snake and tell your story about its bite
cheers steve....

Good to see your ok. It wont be hard to get rid of it, though i would't.
Im sure a demonstrator would have it as a show snake and tell your story about its bite
cheers steve....

Hey Steve, that's a point. Maybe he would sell even easier if he's not a virgin biter!

gday i can so relate to your story whilst living in launceston i put the bin out one evening ,where i placed the bin there was a small rose bush .because it was getting dark i didnt see the snake but felt something hit my foot ,thinking it was the rose bush .i thought nothing of it ,so went inside sat down to watch tv ,when the mrs said whats the blood from on my foot ,told her about thr rose bush ,no sooner had i told her when started to feel the toxins kicking in to cut a long story i spent 24 hours in hell .the one thing thats sticks in my mind is how the doctor said well its to big for a spider bite lol,so he called it foe a juvenile tiger .cheers

The thing is RBB, I seriously think I have been sold a wild caught snake that was sold as a captive bred. There is no way this snake has been in contact with humans and will only eat live food - lizzies only - absolutely nothing else. If I get rid of little Otis, the chances are I will get an adult captive bred to replace him (wife allowing!) and if I can locate one.

Anyone selling?

Little Otis is so nervous, all he does is pop his head out really early in the morning but shoot back into his hide as soon as he spots us. He will then usually stay there for the rest of the day. I still love him and will be upset to see him go.

Hey mate,

You have to remember that when hatchling snakes are born, they are still "wild" animals with "wild" instincts - most juveniles Red Bellies (and other elapids) are difficult to get feeding because their instincts are telling them to eat lizards, not mammals.

As I said, I would be willing to take him off your hands (not for the novelty factor of having a snake that's bitten someone...already have a couple of those). If the 6 month rule is a problem, let me know and I'll talk to some people at SA NPWS for you :)

Cheers

I was bitten several years ago. You copped a nice dose. Good to hear you're on the mend.
I was only monitored for eight hours. Massive hangover for a week. My taste was very strange and practically no smell for 12 months. I've heard of differing affects, one bloke that said his smell increased sharply.
Have you any change in taste or smell?

I was bitten several years ago. You copped a nice dose. Good to hear you're on the mend.
I was only monitored for eight hours. Massive hangover for a week. My taste was very strange and practically no smell for 12 months. I've heard of differing affects, one bloke that said his smell increased sharply.
Have you any change in taste or smell?

For the following three days after the bite I found toothpaste somewhat stronger and nearly went through the roof when I used listerine! Other than that, smell and taste all good ta.

Hey mate,

You have to remember that when hatchling snakes are born, they are still "wild" animals with "wild" instincts - most juveniles Red Bellies (and other elapids) are difficult to get feeding because their instincts are telling them to eat lizards, not mammals.

As I said, I would be willing to take him off your hands (not for the novelty factor of having a snake that's bitten someone...already have a couple of those). If the 6 month rule is a problem, let me know and I'll talk to some people at SA NPWS for you :)

Cheers

Ta Jonno - makes sense. Will see how I go.

gday i can so relate to your story whilst living in launceston i put the bin out one evening ,where i placed the bin there was a small rose bush .because it was getting dark i didnt see the snake but felt something hit my foot ,thinking it was the rose bush .i thought nothing of it ,so went inside sat down to watch tv ,when the mrs said whats the blood from on my foot ,told her about thr rose bush ,no sooner had i told her when started to feel the toxins kicking in to cut a long story i spent 24 hours in hell .the one thing thats sticks in my mind is how the doctor said well its to big for a spider bite lol,so he called it foe a juvenile tiger .cheers

Wow! Not good eh?

HI all,

First glad to hear your ok

You were lucky that was a young porphyriacus and not any other large venomous elapid...trust me you got off light.

Why were you using gloves...the person whom suggested it is the one that caused the bite....welding gloves...no feel....excessive pressure.... hurt snake...hurting hand the only gloves that seem to be worth a grain are a set put out by Midwest.....

Jonno....Stephen's are not like yellow faces and should not be placed in the league of a mildly or potenially dangerous whom ever razes you about hop steph's should do some more research.......I know a few herps nailed by Stephen's and their bite is anything but mild..thrombin, coagulants, pre synaptic neurotoxins just to name a few..real quick reactions and Tiger A/v seems real sh**y in reversing the effects.

Cheers,
Scott

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back