Hosting

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Administrator

I have been researching starting my own hosting business and would like to know if anyone here would be interested in joining. It would be served from here in Australia (we plan to put the APS site on it too :)) on a 512/512 SDSL connection (for the time being).

I am looking at the following prices, check out other Australian hosts and you will find they are very competitive.

$50/year OR $5/month - 20MB Storage, 600MB Transfers, 3 Emails
$100/year OR $10/month - 50MB Storage, 1500MB Transfers, 6 Emails
$160/year OR $15/month - 100MB Storage, 3000MB Transfers, 12 Emails
$210/year OR $20/month - 200MB Storage, 6000MB Trasfers, 25 Emails
$320/year OR $30/month - 500MB Storage, 10,000MB Transfers, 50 Emails
$530/year OR $50/month - 1000MB Storage, 15,000MB Transfers, 100 Emails

mySQL database - $3/database/month
Extra transfers - $10/gig

Tell me honestly if you would sign up, I would like to know how much interest there is and if it is viable for me.

Yes

I'd be interested in the 50MB site.

What provision would you make for backup of data?
I assume you would also be hosting domain names. What would be the cost for that?
What server-side extensions would you run. For example, Frontpage extensions, etc.

Added:
Yes, Snarf is right - it would be slow, but I'd use it for online storage of documents and maybe a family web site. A central, reliable storage area for documents that I could access from anywhere would be useful, even if it was a bit slow.

Prices would be decent if the speed was faster. 512/512 wouldn't be fast enough if you plan on hosting many sites, or even a few with a decent amount of traffic.

MySQL should be free ;)

What about virtual hosting, and DNS? PHP? Perl?

Thanks for the suggestions snarf. Perl and PHP would all be included, I will consider free mySQL (or a nominal setup fee).

I would think 512 upstream/downstream would be more than enough for a few virtual hosted sites. If you get a colo in the US, they usually only give you about 320kbps, so I think that it would be fine. Anyhow, I could upgrade the line down the track if I plan to expand.

I would obviously run my own DNS server, no seperate IP addresses at this time - I want to start relatively small for now, just enough to maintain running costs, etc.

David, just read your message. Frontpage extensions would be on there for sure, all the usual stuff I recon. Backups would the the responsibility of the user, I will not be backing up.

I'd probably take the small site just to play around and learn a bit about this box wiv buttons, maybe even the next one up if the small one filled up with all my stuff ups :)

OK, after listening to what people have said, I have realised that it is not a good idea to try to host this on sDSL, only bad things will happen. I am however looking into getting a dedicated server in the US and want your input on what a reasonable amount to ask is.

The server is looking to be the "Silver" package from http://gloryit.com/server.html (if anyone knows of any better deals, please yell).

I am hoping for mainly smaller sites and because of the limited storage, don't want to offer anything over 500megs of storage, you tell me what you would be willing to pay and for how much, and I will try to work something out from that.

OK, this is what I have worked out.

NCS Starter - 50MB Storage, 500MB Transfers, $17/6mth, $30/year
NCS Basic - 100MB Storage, 1GB Transfers, $28/6mth, $50/year
NCS Standard - 200MB Storage, 2GB Transfers, 1 mySQL Database, $8/mth, $45/6mth, $80/year
NCS Advanced - 400MB Storage, 4GB Transfers, 2 mySQL Databases, $13/mth, $72/6mth, $130/year
NCS Heavy - 750MB Storage, 8GB Transfers, 2 mySQL Databases, $22/mth, $118/6mth, $215/year
NCS Mega - 1.5GB Storage, 15GB Transfers, 3 mySQL Databases, $35/mth, $193/6mth, $350/year
NCS Jumbo - 3GB Storage, 30GB Transfers, 3 mySQL Databases, $58/mth, $320/6mth, $580/year

Extra Databases - $5 Setup, $2/mth
POP3 Email Accounts - Unlimited
CPanel Control Panel
All the usual stuff

SJ

I'd be interested in a Standard or Advanced setup. Would you be giving out tax invoices. I'd be interested in putting my Company Web site up there.

G

I still dont understand if my questions were answered lol
(im not really a computer guru).

You can register a domain yourself and then have as many sub domains as you want.

I do also do web design (you asked paul) and am quite keen on this hosting venture. David and africa, will you be paying annually or every 6 months??

To be quite honest SJ I now have no clue what you's are all on about :) I'd probably pay annually though :)
Whats all this transfer stuff? Does it mean if so many ppl visit ya site it then goes offline till the next month or what??? I am dumb as when it comes to the net :(

Payment

Whatever suits you, SJ. Doesn't bother me either way.

Africa, you are right. Transfers is exactly that. It is a decent sized limit, you should have no problem. If you need any help setting your site up, I will be all too happy to help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back