hot tip

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stockeh

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
hey guys just found a way to prevent breakages of aquarium heaters from clumsy lizards and hyperactive crocs.

22mm conduit from an electrical supply shop just happens to fit firmly over the glass part of the heater, i have drilled a number of holes in the pipe to allow water to flow over the element and now it heats the water accuratly without getting broken

Take care
Matt

You can buy heater guards at any aquarium shop for use with tankbusters, (big fish). If a heater will fit in that size conduit then I am sorry but it is not a very good quality heater :(

size dictates quality does it??? does the job for me mate the conduit costs about 30 cents as opposed to the $10 for the protectors better in my pocket then someone elses

Wasn't having a go at you mate! But I still say that a heater that fits in 20mm conduit must be a Hydrotherm or Natura or similar quality cheap heater?

if the conduit is snug over the heater, cant that cause the conduit to melt? cause those heaters directly get pretty damn hot!!

yeah it is a cheaper one but i was sick of getting them broken.... dont know how long the heater itself is going to last but if it wears out now then i can buy a good one again and save it with the conduit... just saying that i have found a good cheap solution thats all

nah i asked that too apparently they are heat rated to (i cant remember what he said) 80 or 90 deg so shouldnt be a prob

thats why you drill the holes in it..... there are plenty of them to allow for heat transfer and ensure the conductuvuty is not deminished in any way

Sounds like a good idea stockeh, I suppose you drill quite a few holes in so it acts like a shield over it rather than resist the heat transfer.

cwarren
thanks mate i just thought thats what this site was for sharing and learning from each other.

Hugsta
Thats ecaxtly it its for a bit of protection so you can pretty much go wild with the holes and it will still offer some degree of protection..... anything is better then nothing

Take care
Matt

Our 9kg pig-nosed turtle regularly pulled the heaters out of those expensive crappy plastic commercially sold heater guards,and pulls the suction cups off them and chews 'em. We use 40 mm pressure pipe with end caps on them and lots of holes drilled in them as Matt recommends- Cheap and effective!
expansa1

We have been using the conduit over water heaters in NSW for the last 30 years, however we do not make it a snug fit. We normally allow a bit of space between the heater and the conduit, not to prevent melting, but to allow water flow through the holes to get better heat transfer. Works very well and is cheap to make.

I would definately not use PVC pipe which fits snugly. Anything in direct contact is potentially dangerous. Many people use PVC pipe with a larger diameter than the heater in this way and it works really well. I'd definately recommend you spend another 30c on a section of pipe which is of a larger diameter.

bigguy said:
We have been using the conduit over water heaters in NSW for the last 30 years, however we do not make it a snug fit. We normally allow a bit of space between the heater and the conduit, not to prevent melting, but to allow water flow throw the holes to get better heat transfer. Works very well and is cheap to make.

This is exactly what I was trying to get across :) Thanks bigguy :)
I was in no way having a go at you or your idea Matt, it's just that I know from experience, (keeping fish from the age of around 10), that a snug fitting tube WILL in time at least cause problems. Remember, just a small crack in one of the narrower diameter heaters will have your turtles swimming a lot faster as their water will be live :)

Remember, just a small crack in one of the narrower diameter heaters will have your turtles swimming a lot faster as their water will be live

Actually, I've seen it happen and it's no big deal. I kept heaps of fish for about 12 years and during that time, twice I saw (at other fishies' places) heaters get damaged by some of the larger fish. Both times we assumed that since the heater was smashed, no fuse had blown and the fish were alive and unconcerned that it was safe to grab the heater. Both times the guys got zapped by 240 volts! The water in the tank isn't earthed, so there's no circuit and the tank inhabitants are fine. (Don't stick your hand in if you're standing on the ground though!).

Yeah most aquarium heaters don't have an earth lead so everything sits there happily until you go along and become the earth then Ouch :) R.C.D's all the way guys if your playing with electricity in water environment :)

I use to use PVC pipe, but not a snug fit... it was like 3inch PVC or maybe even bigger, and use to drill holes in it and block up the ends with styrafoam (cant spell).. I then put this on the other side of the aquarium directly opposite the filter, that way there was high circulation going through it. It works well.

Craig

some good ideas put across here, i will definately use drilled conduit next winter. got fed up with perishing suction cups etc. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back