Housing a Shingle back and a Bearded Dragon together??

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KawaKay

Reaction score
Hi, just wanted to know what others think about housing a beardy with a shingle back? I have one of each and they have lived in seperate tanks till now. On a very sunny, warm day I put them outside in their enclosure together, so they have met before. As I write, I am keeping an eye on them and watching each others reaction, the Beardy just seems to sit perched on his log and watching the Shingle, The shingle is climbing all over the place having a good look around after eating. I am new at this caper and figure they might make friends :)....opinions please. Kay

every time ive briefly introduced my shingles and beardies, my shingles have found the idea of beardy toes to be most tantalising and moved in for a taste,....(all 4 have tried this at more than one point)

i got an adult beardy a few years ago with mangled front legs and a few facial scars, the story that came with her was that she was housed with a shingleback,...which i believe cos shes such a sweet girl, but will viciously attack any shingleback in sight. (Not that she gets a chance to either, but if tehyre having lawn time and go to investigate a sunning cage shes in she tries and tries to bite them,..)

my opinion is if they already have seperate cages, stick with that,...introductions are fine every now and then, but i think its too risky.

I'd have to agree with Chris1 here. I had a stumpy and a beardie out on the floor together once and the stumpy went in for a munch on the beardies tail. If you had a large outdoor pit it might be a bit different.

Strange. We have an enclosure with two cunninghams and a pair of shinglebacks, and I sometimes have the beardie in with them for days on end - doesn't seem to bother anyone! Still, better to keep them seperate if you're unsure... lizards all have different temperaments and you can never tell :)

Barry HATES my shingle backs, flares up, trys to kill .... in saying that we all know barry is super special ;)

Shinglebacks are notorius casual feeders. They will take tails, feet and whole lizards if they can fit them in.

for about 7 years we had a massive indoor enclosure, and we housed 1 beardy, 2 blue tongues and 1 shingleback. not once in 7 years did we have a issue. even when the blue tongues bred and all the babies were born we never had a problem. but, every reptile and person and different. and wat works for some never works for others.
perhaps just do it for an hour at a time when u hav time to sit and watch them.
are they both the same size?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back