Housing blue tongue and shingleback skinks together?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LadyJ

Hello, (this may very well be a stupid and embarressing post...) but I was wondering if it's at all possible to house a blue tongue (thought to be male) and shingleback (sex unknown) skink together?
I own the blue tongue and I'm considering purchasing a shingleback, but that depends on the answer to my question of course. I'm under the impression that it's possible from advice given by my VCE biology teacher... but I'm looking for other opinions.
I know I should just buy another enclosure (excess space is sparce... believe me), but if I could house them together that would be great. If not I'll put it off of course and wait until I have more room for more enclosures, hehe!
Thank you!
:D

i have seen them housed together at a few parks and zoos, i would assume as long as they have enough space to them selves they should not be an issue its not like they will eat each other providing they are the same size lol

Haha, excellent! Thank you very much for that... seeing Arby (my bluey) trying eat a shingleback of his size is an amusing mental image!
:lol:

Eating each other is not the problem, mating is, they can be housed together but it's possible they will hybridize

Eating each other is not the problem, mating is, they can be housed together but it's possible they will hybridize

This was my next problem... sorry to bug, but would anyone be able to send me links (pictures/info, anything) regarding the offspring? Don't plan to breed them and I'm against hybridization but... curiosity.
;)

is there actual FACT information recorded of this happening ?? ..just curious

About 12 years ago I had both a juvenile blue tounge and shingleback that I decided to house together, and on the day of introduction the shingleback killed the blue tounge. It was pretty nasty stuff, I wouldn't house juvies of both species together again, but I have seen adults of both species happily housed together.

At the SA Museum several years ago we had a live specimen on display of a blue tounge x shingleback hybrid. It was a pretty cool lizard to look at, it had the morphological characteristics of both species.

Oww... thank you for the heads up ozzie. I'd hate for anything of the sort to happen...

Also from memory on the shingleback/bluetongue episode of Adrian's Reptile World it shows one of the offspring of this happening

Thank you so so much everyone! I'm confident now... but will still keep a very close eye on them.
;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back