How accurate is probing a snake for sexing?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
i was told you should only pop in the first 2 days of the hatchies being born because their muscles arent strong enough after that point but some people caan tell the sex just by pulling back the tail so the vent opens up and the spurs come out a male has a nail like claw on the end of its spur and a much larger than a female which are short and round in a way.

I'm only positive of the sexes of 2 of my snakes, they are breeders. I have a pair of 3 year old palmerstons sold to me as m & f. I intend to breed them this year... So we will see I guess! My other snakes are apparently all boys.

- - - Updated - - -

You can still pop them after a couple of days quite easy. The hemipenes are quite prominent. They are hard to mistaken. The females sort of have little stubby horns.

Also in older snakes, the males have larger spurs around the cloaca, their tails are thicker and more bulbous because of their hemipenes descending down quite far in the tail. Obviously you would need to compare a male and female of roughly the same size to get a good idea of how it differs. But I wouldn't sex a snake based just on these indications. Probing could help confirm it. Maybe lol

i was told you should only pop in the first 2 days of the hatchies being born because their muscles arent strong enough after that point but some people caan tell the sex just by pulling back the tail so the vent opens up and the spurs come out a male has a nail like claw on the end of its spur and a much larger than a female which are short and round in a way.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back