How big a rat should I feed my Bredli?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CassLobs

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys,
I'm super new to snakes and Esmeralda is my first Bredli. She's kept in our classroom. The first time I fed her I fed her 2 small rats which she ate ferociously. I dropped one by accident and she took the second one. By the time I came back 10 mins later she'd eaten both. I dont think her last owner fed her regularly and she was probably starving. I offered her a large rat 2 weeks later but she was about to shed and declined my offer. Once she shed (a few days later) I offered her a warm large rat again and she wolfed it. It took her about 20mins to devour though. I'm now going on school holidays and want to feed her before I go (it's been two weeks exactly). I warmed up a jumbo rat to get her through the 2 1/2 weeks and this thing is enormous - like a guinea pig! She looked at it, smelled it, and showed little to no interest.

Is it because it's too big for her? Am I over feeding her? What size and how often would be best for a healthy, happy Bredli?

I'm told she's 6. She's approx 2m in length and full of attitude. We're in Weipa, Cape York. It's super hot but she's inside and has heat mat and lamp to counteract the aircon. She's active some days and sleepy the others. She seems happy and looks bright, clean and shiny (maybe that's also cause she just shed)

Help please!

Cass
es2.jpg

Last edited:
At that size, she should easily get a jumbo rat down. There are a number of possible reasons for why she may have declined your offer but size is almost certainly not one of them. The main problem with rats that big though is that they tend to be fattier than smaller adult rats. So I would suggest sticking to large rats. A couple of general rules are that 15-20 minutes to get a meal down is fairly ideal and the prey item should leave a visible lump but shouldn’t huge.
Don’t worry about 2.5 weeks being too long either. If she’s in good condition, a couple of months without food wouldn’t even faze her.

I feed my adults every 3 weeks, their rats are about 350g.

Is there anyone who can change the water at some point? 2.5 weeks without fresh water is more of a worry than 2.5 weeks of not eating,...

really? months... wow. thanks so much!

- - - Updated - - -

ooooh didn't think of that. thanks! She's got a 5L tub in there but I'll get someone to change it for me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back