how big is to big

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Craig2

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
i have a old fish tank 5ft *2ft*2ft that houses 5 common eastern blues and was wondering if a 150watt spotlight was to big for a heat source it is a mesh top cage and room temp normaly about 20-25 degrees. the light is about 1.5 ft from one end of the tank and points towards the shorter end its about 1.5 ft from the bottom of the light to the bottom of the cage. i had a 60 watt bulb in it but at 1.5 ft it aint real walm and the sand was still cold did i do the right thing....pls help

You should measure the temperature at both ends of the tank. As long as the lizards are able to regulate their temperature they should be fine but if the 'cool' end is too hot, you are in trouble.

Don't know where you are Mr Magic....but just take into consideration that Eastern blueys are found in the cooler parts....keep in mind what Greebo has said, I personally think that 150w is too much for them (eastern blueys).

That is my opinion!

i thought that garth&fay but in saying that as soon as i did it they were all out and under it which made me ask the question as it has mesh top. they do seem more active aswell. and i only did dit about 1hr ago..
i live in singleton and have commons in the back yard would like to keep mine outside but this is not an option at the moment..

Unlike Blotched bluey's, Easterns are a little more forgiving with extra heat as they have a wider natural distribution. 150w is a little on the high side for a lizard that would rather a temp. between 20 -25 Deg C. Although they can withstand up to 35 Deg. they don't like it and I wouldn't keep that heat for to long. Glass tanks lose heat rapidly so the combined use of a heat mat under the tank with a lower wattage bulb would be ideal. The temp. of the cold end is more important than the temp of the hot end, cold end temps that are to low can cause many problems from food refusal to breathing problems.

ok so hot end is aouut 31 deg 6 in from where light is pointing it is above 42 where light is pointing and 22 deg at the clod end i do have a couple of ceramic 100w heat things might give them a go

SO you have a 150 watt bulb at one end? Provided the other end gets left at room temps (20Cish) the hot end is safe at 35 I feel. If there is 2 ft of the 5ft tank that is too hot then they will stay out of the hot area. As said above the danger is not letting them cool down if they want to. Just make sure they have the choice of staying cool if they want it.

If you can afford a thermostat it is a good addition.

as this is an open tank where r u spose to put the probe from the thermistat it would not give a very true reading would it

No worries. If you are concerned about the hot end put the probe near the edge of the basking light.
The reading would be accurate to the radiant heat that is given off from the lamp. They don't ness need an ambient temp of 30
something degrees but they need the means to get to the 30 something degrees (this is not a broad all encompassing
statement for all reptile species :D)
That would mean the basking spot would not get above whatever temp you wanted to set. If you don't want the thermosatat.
I would aim the light further to the end of the tank and put in the 150 watt bulb. If you want experiment with 100W first.

looks like a good set up you have there the only things I would do is move it the light up closer to the end.

It is a very nice looking setup. I wonder if they are getting enough UV as it seems that the closest they can get to the UV tube is the height of the tank.

If you are going to go for 150 watts you may wish to consider an Aussie Sun globe from the Herp Shop (which also come in 100 watts) and ditch the flouro.

I would be tempted to mount the spot light (or aussie sun if you go that route) above the top mesh.

The best clue is where they choose to sit. If they are in the hottest part all day the cage is not warm enough. If they spend most of their time at the cool end thenit is probably too hot. Ideally it is good if they spend a good part of their day close to the UV light. We keep our blues outdoors in Melbourne and they seek out every bit of sunlight they can except on the hottest days. Our blues like to climb (in our case the steps near the back door) so you may wish to provide some sort of platform so they can get closer to the UV tube.

i think i will do that. with the aussie sun globe cause from what i have read the commons dont need alot of uvb just uva. can use uvb light for something else

Newspaper is your best bet.

Temperature has been covered well already. They love 30-33oC in the warm end.
Ideally, give them access to natural sunlight as well. However, not in the tank (!) as they'll cook, but via free-handling or in a well ventilated set-up with access to shade.

The only other advice I can add is to ditch the sand!
It looks great but it's impractical and less hygienic.
It's far more important to keep the cage clean.
You'll find that due to the hassle of changing the sand regularly, it's better to have newspaper which can be easily changed every day or two, which is how often they ****.

Also you'll find that they drag their food away, off into the sand and consequently ingest it, which is not good. It also gets in their eyes, is a harbour for mites, bacteria & other critters.

Newspaper is definitely the go IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back