How can we somehow stop people from killing reptiles???????

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes Ian, I agree and it was one of the other reasons I didn't interfere. Unfortunately a lovely creature had to die, though.

the direct neighbours have sought out and killed two brown snakes. .

Has anyone ever noticed how the only anecdotal reports from snake killers is "I killed a brown snake/tiger snake/black snake"?

When trying to educate my snake hating friends/acquaintances and providing envenomation first aid training I always make this observation - every snake seems to be a brown (most commonly) or one of the other two in anyones story of confrontation with a snake or execution of a snake.

Australia has a lot more species of snake than these three. I also think it's highly unlikely the average joe snake killers are actually getting anywhere near an actual brown snake as often as claimed. If they were anywhere near a brown as often as they claim they are (when the share stories of either seeing or killing one) the overall number of bites and deaths would be significantly higher than what they are. These claims of brown snakes being everywhere are no different from the claims of people seeing 12 metre carpet pythons in their roof - obviously it just wasn't the case. A persons own fear and ignorance grossly exagerates any story. By the same token a lot of innocent or far less dangerous snakes are being killed unnecessarily because people don't know what they are. As such they are all brown until dead and proven otherwise (the poor olives don't stand a chance). Even afterwards the offending snake will probably still be "brown" when those involved share the story further down the track.

We can't teach people how to identify specific snakes. The best chance is to teach them not to go near any of them. I use the red-belly as my "take pity on the snakes" demonstration. I point out that they are territorial so each time someone see's one on their property it is likely to be the same one. I teach them they are not aggressive. I tell them they reduce other pests and more dangerous snakes somewhat and I tell them all that there is only one recorded fatality (to my knowledge) from a red-belly bite, which occurred on an infant in the 1800's. Simply put they just aren't that dangerous and they cop a raw deal with farmers and the like executing them by the dozens. This information generally has a good response from the surprised recipients.

At the end of the day people will continue to kill, we'll continue to cringe and all we can do is educate as best we can and hope to have some impact on it. The only real advice I can give is to discuss it at every opportunity and try to teach people to leave them alone. Only other idea I have is to hire a vigilante team of snake protecting bounty hunters to go out and take a drastic and violent revenge on those who unnecessarily kill a snake, then post the resulting photo's online for the world to see what we do to people that hurt snakes......but somehow I think the education idea is a little more viable.

Yah Striker, how many times have i heard that someone saw a black snake here in Emerald Central Qld. Obviously a mistaken identification for a dark or black coloured brown snake. The colour does not normally comply, but everyone likes to be an expert. Esp when it comes to bravery.

By the way you do know what an expert is???
x is an unknown quantity & a spert is a drip under pressure.
Cheers
Ian

I have asked many locals how I would identify a 'brown' snake and have been told that they are 'brown'. So, I asked what colour bown and I have been told all colours of brown and even black. I pointed out that my pythons are different shades of brown so are they in fact ' brown' snakes. Still waiting for them to answer.

rednecks, there excuse they conveniently use is "they have children" as if snakes specifically seek out there children to murder them.
These muppets also endanger themselves and quite often get bitten in there feeble attempts.
We can try our best to educate,and that is the main avenue to change peoples hearts and minds.
Some peoples hearts are hardened and there is nothing much you can do to change that,
but thats ok we can get them prosecuted,
Recently i awas contacted about a snake found in someones front yard,that had been placed in a box full of barbed wire to torture it as every time it moved it cut itself.
I advised the person to call the police to report which they did,and the residents of that house where charged for animal cruelty and for a number of offences regarding other illegal activities going on at the house.The snake had to be put down though,it was described to me as a Brown snake,but it could of been anything as we well know what peoples snake ID skills are like.

For most people though we need EDUCATION,i work in educating the public and enjoy giving people an ear bashing

rednecks, there excuse they conveniently use is "they have children" as if snakes specifically seek out there children to murder them.
These muppets also endanger themselves and quite often get bitten in there feeble attempts.
We can try our best to educate,and that is the main avenue to change peoples hearts and minds.
Some peoples hearts are hardened and there is nothing much you can do to change that,
but thats ok we can get them prosecuted,
Recently i awas contacted about a snake found in someones front yard,that had been placed in a box full of barbed wire to torture it as every time it moved it cut itself.
I advised the person to call the police to report which they did,and the residents of that house where charged for animal cruelty and for a number of offences regarding other illegal activities going on at the house.The snake had to be put down though,it was described to me as a Brown snake,but it could of been anything as we well know what peoples snake ID skills are like.

For most people though we need EDUCATION,i work in educating the public and enjoy giving people an ear bashing

Barbed wire!! That's a pretty bad story. Makes me sick. How would someone even come up with the idea to do that?

As for the relentless "I have children so I killed a snake" stories that we all seem to repeatedly hear perhaps we could point out:

Cars have killed children in the past - let's start slashing the tyres and breaking the windscreens on everyone we see.
Kids drown at the beach - let's fence them off, or just ban children from being on them.
Dogs attack kids - instead of getting the dog that attacked lets just start shooting them all before they get the chance to attack (or cut their heads off with a shovel).

No doubt there are many more fine examples but I have to go. I'm going to the local park to tear down the swings and set fire to the fort/cubby house there before someone gets hurt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back