How do I stop stress?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

naledge

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
I want to do everything possible to give Kiba (young Darwin) a stress-free environment, because he's a little psychopathic nutter.

He's in a click clack, I think it's 30-40lt but I have no idea, in my bedroom. I go in there a few times a day, I was hoping this would help him get used to vibrations and people walking around and stuff, but it seems to stress him out more.

I've nearly given up, I just can't handle him. I don't know why, it doesn't usually hurt when he bites, although he draws blood every time and bites like 15-50 times every time I get him out. So that's put me off getting him out, I haven't handled him in nearly two weeks and it's starting to get harder to clean the cage and feed him.

Don't just tell me to man up, believe me, if I could, I would. I just want to be able to handle him without being scared crapless.

Any special tips?

all i am going to say is snakes bite its what they do and that some are easier than others, i have a young darwin that is the same you may just have to hoist ya skirt up take some concrete and get into it :)

Put him somewhere with less activity.
Only go near him at feeding and cleaning times.
Use a hook and put him in another tub whilst cleaning.
Leave him along.
If you want something that you can handle get another pet.
The only thing that MIGHT calm that snake down is to leave it be.

Any special tips?
Not really m8..perseverence i guess,and keep in mind some snakes just dont like to be handled no matter how hard you try and what you do.;).that's what makes them interesting their personalitys :D

how big is he. if still small use gloves to handle him and dont stop him from moving through ya hands and back in his enclosure.

all i am going to say is snakes bite its what they do and that some are easier than others, i have a young darwin that is the same you may just have to hoist ya skirt up take some concrete and get into it :)

Yeah, it's just taking me a while to get used to the biting.

Put him somewhere with less activity.
Only go near him at feeding and cleaning times.
Use a hook and put him in another tub whilst cleaning.
Leave him along.
If you want something that you can handle get another pet.
The only thing that MIGHT calm that snake down is to leave it be.

Okay I'll give it a shot, thanks.

Not really m8..perseverence i guess,and keep in mind some snakes just dont like to be handled no matter how hard you try and what you do.;).that's what makes them interesting their personalitys :D

Haha yeah I know that, it's more about me than the snake. I need to get used to getting bitten, that way it wont matter if he bites. I just can't seem to get used to it. No matter how many times he bites me, I figured I'd just get used to it after time.

how big is he. if still small use gloves to handle him and dont stop him from moving through ya hands and back in his enclosure.

He's pretty small, there are pictures in my profile, I think he's around five months old.

I'm not sure if gloves will help, it's not really the bite I don't like, it's the striking. Like, the speed and ferocity of it.

first thing you have to note... is snakes are not pets...
and you cant train them to become more placid...
the best you can do is get them used to you...
but by trying to handle the snake while it clearly doesnt want it ... isnt the way to get around it...
move the snake somewhere more quite... they dont like vibrations...
put a towel over the tank, it doesnt need too much light when its a hatchling... and when it starts to calm a little take the towel off...
other then that... leave it alone apart from feeding and cleaning...
and as far as biting goes... even though you dont want to hear it...
snakes bite, its part of the deal, so either you get used to the idea, dont touch it, or find someone else who is willing to look after it...

How big is your snake and how big is the click clack......I know if the environment they are in is too big it can spook them....

Does he have a dowel to perch on they are easy to install in a click clack just look at the instructions on the webpage

Good luck
Elizabeth

yeah... thats another good point...
you might want to invest in one of those small wooden boxes...
tiny things... not sure where to get them...
but they are great for hatchies...
might help

i've had a couple nippy ones in the past and will have more in the future, even have a nippy tiger snake that i still handle after having him on the hook for about 5 mins. Most young snakes will bite as we are larger and scary animal to them, however if he is persistant with biting then try using a hook (plastic coated clothes hanger is fine) for a few minutes before free-handling him without restraining his movement. also be confident as this does help, confident not impossing, it will take time and it's just persistance, now is the time to be bit by him and to get him used to you, the bite only gets better as they get bigger lol. but most grow out of it as they get more used to being handled. just don't let a little bite scare ya, there are worse animals to be bit by.

but some just like to be left alone no matter what you try. also try a cover and a less used part of the house

Some Darwins are just like that when young (okay, most :lol:) but the refreshing thing is they WILL settle down! My male Darwin was an aggro piece of work when he was a youngster, but is now the most pleasant critter you'd ever meet. Time and patience is the key.... your young Darwin will grow out of it ;)

Dont handle it and provide it with good security, i paint 2 sides and sometimes part of the lid black on my tubs to make them more secure. Using paper and suitable sized hides also helps.

Many snakes simply grow out of being snappy.

Haha was just wondering if I missed something but no after re reading I see nothing else about blueys, little bit random

Some Darwins are just like that when young (okay, most :lol:) but the refreshing thing is they WILL settle down! My male Darwin was an aggro piece of work when he was a youngster, but is now the most pleasant critter you'd ever meet. Time and patience is the key.... your young Darwin will grow out of it ;)

Glad to see not all people have the 'suck it up' attitude... . and i'm sick to death of people forgetting what it was like when they had their "L" plates, and just telling people to toughen up.

Naledge has been stuggling for a while now, trying to gain the confidence with Kiba.. and its not something that comes easy for some people, he is concerned for Kiba's well being more so than his own ego, of course he wants to handle him, most snake owners do, .... well those of us that seem them as pets, to be interacted with occasionally, and not put out on display to show off.....
I agree Kiba will most likely calm down with age, and i hope its sooner rather than later for Naledges sake, but most suggestions here haven't helped Naledge learn anything at all..

How about some more stories about, 'mine use to do the same thing and i tried x y z "

Sorry Naledge, you don't need me jumping to your defense but i'm getting less tolerant of people with short memories of how they started......

[I say stick with your Darwin, Naledge :)
Do what others have suggested, put him in a less busy area, throw a cloth over him, give him less stimulation, only bother him to clean and feed, and give him some time.

Last edited by a moderator:
How about some more stories about, 'mine use to do the same thing and i tried x y z "

Ok i had a Jungle Python that would bite continously as a hatchling, when it was 6' it wouldnt bite at all and i simply left it alone except when i needed to handle it.

If you want a snake you can handle more while its small and vunerable get one that isnt snappy to start with.

can anyone remember roughly what age they were when they started to calm down a bit,.....?

Pretty much every thing I have heard it's around the 6 month age for jungles if it doesn't happen then a nice display enclosure will be the way to go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back