How do u know if my Ridge tail monitor is a male or female?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ridge_beardy

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone:) i need help, i really wanna know if my ridgy is a male or female but i dont know how to tell if it is:/ the ridgy is my first reptile ever:D

Hope someone can help me :)

males tend to have a thicker neck thats the same width as their head, females tend to have a more tapered neck. not always the case though. another method is the spurs at the base of the tail. if they are prominent and when u run ur fingers over them they catch a bit, generally a male. females spurs tend to not be as big and dont really catch. but again not always the case. there is no sure fire way really. if u post a pic it might make it easier to tell. behavior is another indicator but again dominant females can act alot like males towards smaller females even to the extent that they look like they are mating. so yeah its hard to say until u have definite mating and eggs :p

also depends on age. u cant tell juveniles sexes only mature adults really can u tell

Monitors are pretty difficult to sex accurately. There are a couple of things you can look at like thickness of the tail or shape of the head but in the end it's just an educated guess. If it's super important you can go to a reptile vet and have them x ray it. Otherwise just have a guess. You've got a 50/50 chance of getting it right :p

Sweetangle your the one who sold me the Ridgy haha My Name is Dylan Reeve haha do u want me to take pictures of the spurs?yeah i think my ridgy is a boy :)

This is my Ridge Tail Monitor now :)
View attachment 210095

Last edited:
:p oh yeah!
How is it going? was this one from last year or the year before? and the link didnt work :( and was it one of the red ones or the mt isa ones? i havent seen pics of any of the red babies that i bred, only the mt isa ones!
can u try the pic again

This is the one from november i think but i brought the ridgy of you in janurary.
Yeah the ridgy is doing great :) there is pictures of it on my page :)View attachment 210096:p

it isnt working for some reason :( try clicking attachment but if that doesnt work just go on my page :)

Attachments

• 281783_10150243509934290_657889289_7640637_3864033_n.jpg
    281783_10150243509934290_657889289_7640637_3864033_n.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 132
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back