how do u tell a snakes age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

apophis

Reaction score
This may seem like a dumb question to most but i am sort of new to this
and still learning.
My question is, what is the easiest or most used way or ways to judge a snakes age. Im in the prosess of buying a childrens python, an adult male for this years breeding but im not too sure it is a 2-3 year old specimen like the owner says.
I just want to make sure so i dont waste my money, any help on this matter would be of great help.

Regards Apophis

I would like to kn ow my self in many ocasions. I think that people who do not have personal experiance with specie in question and do not know size of body and head snake in certen age should have can be easily mislead.

if it's for breeding as long as it's big enough it doesn't mater.
sexual maturity is based on size not age.

So a power fed animal that is twice the size of its slowly grown counterpart could breed at an early age like 18 months instead of the standard 3rd year?

Sorry but IMO age is the factor in breeding. Size is too unreliable.

What makes you doubt the snakes age in the first place?
Do you think it looks older or younger?
In older children's the pattern can become obscure and the snake almost becomes one colour.
As John said, you can't simply go on size.

Popp?
I have put my details in profile now to save confusion.

I havn't got an old nickname on this list as I only just joined recently. I used to read it and others alot but didn't participate as a noob. I also used ms_spilota on other lists but only for a short while as I was always being asked if I was female lol.

So anyone have any idea how to tell the age of snakes, I can't imagine how? (Let alone know how)

the only accurate way is to keep records

coz growth depends on food there arent any indicators i can think of that would show age... perhaps head size ???

cheers, jono

Does a snake that is well fed grow a larger skull? Or is skull size determined by genetics, and or age? Do you know the answer to these questions and more? :)

Greebo said:
In older children's the pattern can become obscure and the snake almost becomes one colour.quote]

Not always a good indicator, you can spotless childreni. They look like little olive or waters.
Peter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back