how do u tell a snakes age

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Greebo said:
In older children's the pattern can become obscure and the snake almost becomes one colour.quote]

Not always a good indicator, you can spotless childreni. They look like little olive or waters.

Peter
Yes, that is true.Although Spotless childreni are usually called Spotless childreni to help avoid confusion with normal childreni.

Well as some have already said, unless you keep clear and defined records you will never really know. I guess the closest answer would be experience to a species, Generally speaking you can look at an animal and have a pretty good guess at its age by a number of factors, size, colouration and markings. But at the end of the day the larger majority will always give and age with a six month variance. In closing I would worry to much about it as even if it is of sexually mature age it is still hit and miss as to wether it will breed or not. Nothing is for certain with Herps.

if one of mine layed eggs i will be certain its a female unless its a shim

it is around 65-80-cm long and even colouration, over all its a good looking snake so even if i have to wait another year so be it i will get it even then as some one said even then it may not perform. well thanks for ur replys, all of u where fo great helpi think....PS. why am i an egg and what's with that

Regards Apophis 8)

Snakes do develop larger skulls as they get older,but is in no way a reliable indication of age.

Hey apophis what is the snake in your avatar?

btw you're an egg cause you have not many posts.......

it may not matter too much if it is 2 or if it is 3 probably to late to mate this season so the snake would be at least another year older, well that's what i think anyways :p

That snake on the avatar looks like an albino corn snake...could be wrong.

There was a recorded case of a retic in a zoo that laid fertile eggs without ever mating.This was only last year I think but that is a very rare occurrence.(possibly the only known case but I could be wrong).

You sure? I think it's an albino corn snake but the picture is to small to tell what sex it is?

(ps. hermaphrodite)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back