How do you feed your beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How do you feed your beardies

• In enclosure with everything left in

Votes: 36 52.2%
  • In enclosure with all logs ect.. taken out

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • In a click clack / bucket / box

Votes: 13 18.8%
  • I hand feed my beardies because I like the risk of losing fingers

Votes: 16 23.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dotora

Reaction score
Hey everybody,

I was wondering how you all feed your beardies. I feed mine in his enclosure with all the logs taken out but I want to know if there is a better way as sometimes he wont eat live woodies and just watches them run around. It is possible for him to go 4 - 5 days with out eating more than a few woodies then eat 8 at once.

So I am curious how do you feed your beardies?

we've got pgymys so not much chance of any real injury, I personally hand feed as there are three in the enclosure so I like to keep it even! (one has far more grunt than the others so she often gets removed during feeding time)
Hand feeding the EWD's however is just fun!

feed mine with everything in it. woodies, crickets and mealworms.keeps him happy hunting for his food. Give him plenty of veggies and fruit and plants.

yeh thats hwat i do just have mine on crickets but i just chuck em in and watch him catch them :)

I generally stun, kill the food and put it on a plate with the greens in the enclosure. I often hand feed also...

Some of mine get hand fed and the others get woodies in a shallow container with fluon around the egdes. I take it out after about an hour.

My juvies can sometimes be a bit slow, so I always put the crickets in the fridge for ten minutes before releasing into their enclosure.

hand feed and also in a click clack, with veggies constatly on the menu in his mansion

heres an idea

feed them heaps of veg, Dandy lion's are really good for them.
But if you dont want woodies running a muck in your enclosour, put them in a dog food bowl or something they cant knock over and put a thick layer of porepore ointment around the top of bowl, the woodies have trouble getting past it and stay in the bowl

I put vegies in their enclosures, and my adults get their crickets straight in the enclosure. They're smart and fast enough, and also usually hungry enough to chase them all down and eat them. My baby man goes into a tub for his crickets so there's none left in his enclosure to hide and munch on him.

I put crix / woodies in take away container, and hold container in Mr beardies face. He eats from container.

Last edited:
feed them in the enclosuer so that sometimes the criters can hide, and then when they come out it wil be more of a hunting style of eating, in which beardies love, where as if you take everything out, it will be an easy target, you want them to get some excersice out of eating. this is what i do anyway, hope i helped.

lol whilst hand feeding this morning I learnt something interesting and pretty funny, pretty glass beads are appetising to beardies, I couldnt figure out why they were'nt paying attention to the crickets i was holding out for them - they were more interested in getting the right angle to try and munch my bracelet!

i feed mine in a seperate tub. It gives me a chance to clean his tank while he eats. I do the same with my snakes

i generally feed them outside and throw the roaches a round fro them to chase, if i'm feedign them inside i generally use superworms and throw them around for them to chase,..

only Kaida gets crickets and i take her into a seperate room and let them go,...for her to chase,..lol,...the others get too frustrated with them bouncing in different directions,...

salad bowl just goes onto the basking rock in the mornings and its gone long befoe it has a chance to dry out,....

Sigh wish my guy would start eating his salad. Ive tried everything under the sun. Ive tried him on:

Carrot
Bok Choy
Beans
Snow Peas
Grapes
Kewi Fruit
Banana
Broccoli
Apple
Leek
Various types of Lettuce
Rock Mellon
Water Mellon
Avocado
Tomato
Cauliflower

Im starting to run out of things to try :(. No matter where I put it he just does not seem interested at all and the salad / veggies will sit in there all day getting old and dry out I have tried to move them around but still not interested. I currently put the salad in a plastic lid off a container which is about 2inch in diameter and about .5 of a inch deep.

He is a 5mo Eastern Bearded and ive had him for about a month and a half, the breader I brough him off said he was eating bok choy.

Any suggestions on getting him to eat his Salad / Greens?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back