How interesting, shinglebacks

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Metalbeard

Reaction score
Just learning about herps and learnt something really interesting about Shinglebacks.

I Had no idea they gave live Birth,
Can Possilbly have the same partner for upto/over 20 years (good effort imo),
Heaps of other cool Info on this Video.

[video=youtube;aPZiAiUYS8o]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aPZiAiUYS8o[/video]

Mating for life... god, I cried like a little girl at the last part. It's amazing that bluey's can have up to 20 live young and shingleback only 1-3 and they're so closely related... interesting.

The mating for life thing is a furphy. Incaptivity they show no proclivity for monogamy and in the wild well. Who has set up a study for that long. There is also the issue of mating trails. You will sometimes find a female being pursued by a line of males all looking to mate.
They also produced advanced offspring thus less room for large broods. In harsh conditions it gives a much higher survival rate.

The mating for life thing is a furphy. Incaptivity they show no proclivity for monogamy and in the wild well. Who has set up a study for that long. There is also the issue of mating trails. You will sometimes find a female being pursued by a line of males all looking to mate.
They also produced advanced offspring thus less room for large broods. In harsh conditions it gives a much higher survival rate.

But why is there the mass difference between shingle and bluey litters? :/

I agree 100%, we have 2 males running with 7 females in an outdoor pit and we have multiple females birthing every year!

The difference in litter sizes with the various Tiliqua species is due to evolutionary intervention. In harsher areas the Tiliqua that produce advanced and hardier young tend to be the genetic line that prevails. Shinglebacks and Western's have the smallest litters as they tend to be found in the most severe and changable environments. Blotchies have larger litters but not huge while Easterns and Northerns have larger less advanced litters in areas where food is more abundant and the habitat less hostile.

Um well if you watch the whole video on life in cold blood, the guy on there has 'set up a study for that long'. He has been studying them, and only them, in the wild for like 30 years. So I will be taking his word on it, rather than accepting your mere speculation and disbelief. Its no suprise that they would behave differently in captivity.

The difference in litter sizes with the various Tiliqua species is due to evolutionary intervention. In harsher areas the Tiliqua that produce advanced and hardier young tend to be the genetic line that prevails. Shinglebacks and Western's have the smallest litters as they tend to be found in the most severe and changable environments. Blotchies have larger litters but not huge while Easterns and Northerns have larger less advanced litters in areas where food is more abundant and the habitat less hostile.
Evolutionary intervention will not lead to 'larger less advanced' litters. While the litters may be larger, due to the greater abundance of food for the parents, they would not be less advanced on the whole.It is true that as food may be easier to source and the area less hostile, natural selection would not have the same impact in the sense of killing off the less advanced ones in a litter. Although this will of course still occur, but just to a lesser degree. But there would still be the more advance ones in the litter, and they would actually be likely to be 'more' more advanced due to their parents having more food, and as they themselves could have more food after birth. so they would have increased development than the 'equally advanced' ones in the more harsh environment.

I aquired mine for $50. Larger ones seem to be more valuable.
Interesting, yes they are. Like I say about this hobby, It doesnt matter what we seem to know as true, there is always some one who will contradict you.

i have the life in cold blood dvd set prob one of the best documentary's i have seen lately

i have the life in cold blood dvd set prob one of the best documentary's i have seen lately
it really is hey. really comprehensive and well made. i swear i have watched it about 30 times...
Whats a little shingle worth?....
they seem to go really cheap in adelaide. even at pet shop prices they are usually 50-60 no matter the age of them. about the only thing we get cheap in sa...

Ah, I'm in Victoria myself and have never seen them at pet shops and rarely see them advertised.

Still, Life in Cold Blood was beautiful... can't sum up my excitement when we got to watch it the other day in biology! Too bad the section about the shingle's had me in tears... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back