How long to feed pinky mice?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghotar

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hey guys

My girlfriend has just bought her first snake (a 5 month old spotted maculosa) and in a couple days I'll be picking up a 3 month old diamond/coastal intergrade.

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to buy 100 bulk pink mice as I'm not sure how long they feed on pinkies or how long they can be stored in the freezer for?

Tariq

The little spotted will feed on pinkies for a while. But your python will probably move up to fuzzies before long. You can tell when to upsize the food when they don't have a noticeable lump in their belly when they've just fed.

No. Buy fuzzy mice. The mac should be up to them by now and the intergrade will be up for two at a feed by now. The intergrade should move to hoppers soon.
Pinkies are relatively low in nutrition and little 'fibre' (fur). I start my Morelia on fuzzies after they hatch.

I would think that a spotted python of 5 months would eat bigger prey items than a pinky mouse unless it is really small and your new snake will not eat pinkies for long.

Thanks for the responses :)

I wondered about the size difference of the two species in relation diet and age. I'll have a chat with the breeder about what he's been feeding it when I pick it up.

The spotty is about 30-35cm long and has a small to moderate lump after eating. From what I've read, the pinky mice she's feeding it are bigger than normal pinkies. About 1/3-1/2 the length of my pinky finger?

Thanks for the responses :)

I wondered about the size difference of the two species in relation diet and age. I'll have a chat with the breeder about what he's been feeding it when I pick it up.

The spotty is about 30-35cm long and has a small to moderate lump after eating. From what I've read, the pinky mice she's feeding it are bigger than normal pinkies. About 1/3-1/2 the length of my pinky finger?
I found the best method for me was to feed mine 15-20% of its body weight each time. I use a cheap set of digital kitchen scales to weigh my snakes once every month or two because some people have bigger pinkies than others and that goes on the same through the entire size ranges.

My spotted bub is on fuzzies, hes 7 months i think.

Sent from my LG-P690f using Tapatalk 2

Last edited:
well by feeding a snake smaller then probably usual rodent's in experience even if it's more frequent feed's your snake will get longer rather then fatter and probably survive a bit better in the long run it is your choice wether to fatten it up in given time they are snake's by the way and survive through harsh conditions but this does not mean to starve the animal's in no way so use personel experience and constantly research

well by feeding a snake smaller then probably usual rodent's in experience even if it's more frequent feed's your snake will get longer rather then fatter and probably survive a bit better in the long run it is your choice wether to fatten it up in given time they are snake's by the way and survive through harsh conditions but this does not mean to starve the animal's in no way so use personel experience and constantly research

I'm new to the whole reptile thing, and so is the girlfriend, she's just doing what the pet store staff told her to.
So general consensus is that the spotted python should be on fuzzies by now? And fed weekly?

I'm new to the whole reptile thing, and so is the girlfriend, she's just doing what the pet store staff told her to.
So general consensus is that the spotted python should be on fuzzies by now? And fed weekly?
Go on your snakes weight not what people say it should be on. Judge the food size on your snakes size.

Research at UWS using Antaresia has shown that if you feed bigger meals, a growing snake gets bigger, but stays in proportion. They will grow in proportion with their intake. Larger meals do not make a growing snake fat versus long.

it is very safe to feed 10-20% of body weight every week. It is also fine to let them go a couple of weeks without food, so don't stress if they don't eat one night. Just wait a week. I highly recommend that they both be on furred rodents by now, but if the spotted has only eaten pinkies, you may want to give him a couple of feeds with pinkies until he settles in. He will grow better with a more nutritious furred rodent.

If you want your snakes to grow quickly, you can feed every 5 days, but weekly is the norm. I have occasionally fed one of my hatchlings more quickly and it is amazing how quickly the growth difference becomes apparent. Quite fun to do if you have a bunch of hatchlings...

Last edited:
yeah ok mate feed the spotted on pinky's for a little bit and if you think the coastal is up to the challenge step up huh

Hey guys

My girlfriend has just bought her first snake (a 5 month old spotted maculosa) and in a couple days I'll be picking up a 3 month old diamond/coastal intergrade.

I was just wondering if it would be a good idea to buy 100 bulk pink mice as I'm not sure how long they feed on pinkies or how long they can be stored in the freezer for?

Tariq
Is it an intergrade or cross that you are getting?

My 5 and a half month Maculosa is eating weaner mice with ease.......

My 4 and a half month old Diamond Intergrade (Port Mac Python) is also eating weaners with ease.

My 5 month old Cape York Jungle is downing weaners with much ease and will soon be upgraded.

I like the 'feed by weight' principle but find it difficult with very small food items as often it is hard to get an accurate weight.....but my weaners are about 8 - 9g each. My Maculosa is around 50g (so each feed is 18% of bodyweight), Diamond Intergrade is around 50g (feed is 18% of bodyweight), and Jungle is 60g (15% of bodyweight).

Unless your snakes are very small for age I would not waste my $$ on pinky mice....get then onto fuzzies or weaners depending on their weight - the more mature the food the more nutritional value and maybe don't buy so many of them as you will find in a few weeks they will probably take the next size.

My 4 and a half month old Diamond Intergrade (Port Mac Python) is also eating weaners with ease.

My 5 month old Cape York Jungle is downing weaners with much ease and will soon be upgraded.

I like the 'feed by weight' principle but find it difficult with very small food items as often it is hard to get an accurate weight.....but my weaners are about 8 - 9g each. My Maculosa is around 50g (so each feed is 18% of bodyweight), Diamond Intergrade is around 50g (feed is 18% of bodyweight), and Jungle is 60g (15% of bodyweight).

Unless your snakes are very small for age I would not waste my $$ on pinky mice....get then onto fuzzies or weaners depending on their weight - the more mature the food the more nutritional value and maybe don't buy so many of them as you will find in a few weeks they will probably take the next size.
I sometimes put five similar sized rats or mice together on the scales and divided by five to make it easier with weighing small prey.

Is it an intergrade or cross that you are getting?

According to the breeder, it's a natural intergrade

Thanks for the advice :)

According to the breeder, it's a natural intergrade.

Just for future reference some people on here will jump on you about saying cross and intergrade in the same sentence. Technically an intergade is not a cross as Bart70 can explain. I have nothing against crosses as I own one but some people do. It will be good to see some pics of your snake when you get it.

Just for future reference some people on here will jump on you about saying cross and intergrade in the same sentence. Technically an intergade is not a cross as Bart70 can explain. I have nothing against crosses as I own one but some people do. It will be good to see some pics of your snake when you get it.

I'm buying him/her from a member of APS. So there are photos of the hatchies up already :)
I'm just not sure if I should link to his thread or not.. not sure what the rules regarding talking about other peoples stuff are.

I'm buying him/her from a member of APS. So there are photos of the hatchies up already :)
I'm just not sure if I should link to his thread or not.. not sure what the rules regarding talking about other peoples stuff are.
Not sure either but you can via PM. I would not post other peoples pics on a thread as some people get annoyed about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back