How much do I feed a 1 year old beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Reaction score
Hi, my Bearded Dragon has just turned 1 (happy birthday) and I currently feed him 10 adult crickets everyday. I think I can start to reduce his meat intake due to his age and he eats his salad everyday. How much should I feed him and how often?

i feed my 3yo beardies each
-1cup of salad everyday and if they eat it they get more
-10 woodies every 2-3days and more for pregnant females
I would just slowly add more salad and less insects to their diet

i feed my 3yo beardies each
-1cup of salad everyday and if they eat it they get more
-10 woodies every 2-3days and more for pregnant females
I would just slowly add more salad and less insects to their diet

Yeah, thats my plan when they are full grown.
When you say 10 woodies every 2-3 days do you mean like monday, thursday, saturday and then repeat?
Thanks

how the hell do you get them to eat salad

Cathy

Persistance, try holding back all food from them for a few days then stick a fresh bowl of salad in and watch it get hammered. If that does not work hold food back for a few more days, they will get it eventually

- - - Updated - - -

Great question - check out this video

Bearded Dragon Salad - YouTube

Gee your giving this vid a few plugs, lol great vid mate well done

whats endive?? i have everything else growing in the garden

Cathy

Endive is a type of lettuce but its good for Bearded Dragons and is good to feed everyday. You can get seeds on ebay cheap or just buy from supermarket

Yeah, thats my plan when they are full grown.
When you say 10 woodies every 2-3 days do you mean like monday, thursday, saturday and then repeat?
Thanks
too be honest i dont have a routine like that because i can't be bothered i just give them some woodies every few days and if they're hungry they can get a few more. It would benefit the dragon if you had a routine though but i can't be bothered.

I would say a cup of salad/veges a day for an adult is way too much. Obesity in captive reptiles is a problem. I feed adults veges 3-4 times a week, or every second day and insects 2-3 times a week. No where near a whole cup of veges each though. A one year old could eat veges 6 days a week as they are still growing. I use either endive or squash (mainly butternut) as a staple and also mix native flowers like grevillea and bottle brush in with the veges. Butternut is good for getting them onto veges as they seem to like the sweet taste but it doesn't have the sugar content of fruit which, in large quantities, is bad for their teeth.

I would say a cup of salad/veges a day for an adult is way too much. Obesity in captive reptiles is a problem. I feed adults veges 3-4 times a week, or every second day and insects 2-3 times a week. No where near a whole cup of veges each though. A one year old could eat veges 6 days a week as they are still growing. I use either endive or squash (mainly butternut) as a staple and also mix native flowers like grevillea and bottle brush in with the veges. Butternut is good for getting them onto veges as they seem to like the sweet taste but it doesn't have the sugar content of fruit which, in large quantities, is bad for their teeth.

How often do you think I should feed a I year old insects?

Probably the same as an adult if it is eating the veges well, but wean off slowly from what you've been giving. Also, mixing something that wiggles around, like silkworms, in with the vege mix is a good way to get lizards interested in eating them.

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

Also, I mix calcium (Reptical) with the vege mix and sprinkle vitamins on top (Jurassivite in my case) a couple of times a week up until they are in their second year, then I drop the calcium back to a couple of times a week.

Thanks, when you feed them insects on average how many do you feed in a sitting?
I currently feed 10 adult crickets in one sitting

my beardies get a small handful of salad daily, mostly a mix of bok choy, pak choy, rocket, chinese brocolli and endive, some days i add extras (butternut pumpkin/green beans, strawberries or banana dipped in calcium)in small amounts.

they get 6 large roaches on sundays.

mine will eat nothing but broccoli and apple but only if I tong feed or it won't touch anything I want to get it to eat less apple because of the sugar content but she loves it so I give it to her
btw mine does get woodies, crix, mealworms

Mine are coming up to a year old and eat a big plate of veges each day + silkworms/crickets/woodies most days.

People rkn that beardies wont overfeed themselves and only eat what they need. I have found this to be incorrect (atleast with my two)

I am sure that if i left 100 big fat silk worms in their enclosure, they would all be gone by the time i get home(even after eating their veges). Has anyone else noticed the same?

Am i feeding mine TOO much? Nearly everyday (lets say 4-5 times per week) they share a box of large crickets (about 30-40 crickets) + their daily veges
If i can get silkworms, they have them, but if not its usually just crickets.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back