How to become a vet.

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
LOL this is such a conincidence as i was having a convosation with my maths teacher about this today. I want to become a vet but from what you guys listed here it all sounds too hard and mind bobbling. I got **% (less than 50) for maths this term, So i've basically given up. My skills are in english (yes i know this post is not the most grammer edited nor spell checked but you can read it and I can relax for once instead of spelling and grammar checking everything). I got **% over 95% for my english this term and have been moved up to year 11 english, so whats that telling me? a new article writer for scales and tails? (be an amazing job) what jobs can I do with animals (the one thing I am truelly passionate about) which involve high english skills?

If you really want to be a vet go with it. You sound just like me, but better at english. But im still going to try, as i think it will be worth it.

Where would you go to study reptiles?

Ben

Australia :) we have heaps of them. If you mean stuff where you pay for education there is very little, but you can learn heaps from reading books and scientific papers, listening to other herpers/keerpers and observing reptiles in the wild.

But how/where would you learn how to treat them and whats wrong with them?

Ben

I'm not 100% sure because I'm not taking vet science, I'm majoring in veterinary technology. You pick a major when you attend uni. When you study vet science, I'd assume you'd pick a major in something to do with herpetology.

I suck at maths, but English is my strong point. I barely passed maths during high school, and even though maths is a prerequisite for courses, if you haven't done the level of maths needed, one of your core classes is a maths based course (involving other things related to your major).

To be totally honest, I failed a few maths B exams in year 11 and one I think in year 12, and I still got into vet science straight out of school! The maths level you actually require to be a veterinarian is nothing like the stuff you do at school.

With vet science you don't do majors/minors... its basically one set out course and you don't have a choice what subjects you do- you must complete the outline/course they set for you. You do get opportunities to do work placement as part of your degree at elective practices of your choice- I spent time at Australia Zoo, the Australian Wildlife Hospital, Currumbin Wildlife Hospital and Seaworld for some of my rotations, and in the second half of this year I'll be going to the Brisbane Birds and Exotics practice in Brisbane. The best way to learn is to spend time with some good veterinarians that know what they're doing, you can get experience handling various reptiles, birds, amphibians etc and learn the diagnostics, pharmaceuticals and husbandry of the animals you hope to later work with.

Last edited:
To be totally honest, I failed a few maths B exams in year 11 and one I think in year 12, and I still got into vet science straight out of school! The maths level you actually require to be a veterinarian is nothing like the stuff you do at school.

With vet science you don't do majors/minors... its basically one set out course and you don't have a choice what subjects you do- you must complete the outline/course they set for you. You do get opportunities to do work placement as part of your degree at elective practices of your choice- I spent time at Australia Zoo, the Australian Wildlife Hospital, Currumbin Wildlife Hospital and Seaworld for some of my rotations, and in the second half of this year I'll be going to the Brisbane Birds and Exotics practice in Brisbane. The best way to learn is to spend time with some good veterinarians that know what they're doing, you can get experience handling various reptiles, birds, amphibians etc and learn the diagnostics, pharmaceuticals and husbandry of the animals you hope to later work with.

Very envious. I dicked around in school and failed classes, despite having the ability to pass. I got great marks on the QCS test, too :( How are you finding the course?

Very envious. I dicked around in school and failed classes, despite having the ability to pass. I got great marks on the QCS test, too :( How are you finding the course?

Full on, particularly on the surgery and anaesthesia rotation I'm currently on :) As the years go on, the workload magnifies significantly, but at the same time it seems to become much more 'relevant' and hands on. I'm currently in my fifth and final year.

chem bio maths(forget physics) high level maths.
voluntering at ur local pcyc is a great idea.
if u can show a uni u are dedicated and passionate it will definately help. request an interview even.
then again theres pathways into everycourse.
like doing a science degree and majoring in animal science and applying for a postgrad in veterinary science.

physics if u can do it and like it
it will get u top marks.
but most people choose it for this reason and hate it so dont do that well.

Last edited:

If you are good enough at colour the dots tests you should be able to get into any course anywhere. You will probably have to study to get beyond 2nd year stuff though.

If you are good enough at colour the dots tests you should be able to get into any course anywhere. You will probably have to study to get beyond 2nd year stuff though.

QCS is more than multi choice. It's a flawed test in my opinion, so is the QLD OP system. But you can't get into any course anywhere unless you have the right OP, you can't get a decent OP regardless of what you get on the QCS test unless you at least pass. I failed art, and I only had four subjects because I was doing a traineeship. Looking to change into vet science later on, OR if I can get into business/journalism I'll do that. I had business/journalism as a preference, but veterinary technology was higher, and I got accepted into vet tech. If you get accepted into something, QTAC automatically forfeits and other preferences lower in the list, which sucked.

Full on, particularly on the surgery and anaesthesia rotation I'm currently on :) As the years go on, the workload magnifies significantly, but at the same time it seems to become much more 'relevant' and hands on. I'm currently in my fifth and final year.

Congrats, that's great! Are you allowed to perform operations by yourself under the supervision of qualified vets in your last year?

Congrats, that's great! Are you allowed to perform operations by yourself under the supervision of qualified vets in your last year?

Yeah- we start off by doing speys and castrates with supervision, and we assist surgeries like cranial cruciate repairs, fracture repair, soft tissue surgery, laparotomies etc. Depending on the vet practices we do placements at the year before, many of them also let us do surgeries. I've also been able to do some on wildlife e.g. a skin wound repair on the wing of a Tawny Frogmouth, crop and skin repair on a purple crowned dove.

So its a lot of work but its worth it :)

judging by some of the more recent chat posts it would appear that most the blokes on APS are more interested in becoming Yvette than a vet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back