How To Breed Beardies

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mate that is fantastic. Nicely compiled.

To totally fulfill that paper, all that is required, I think, is a "How to Sex" section.

Well done. :p ;)

So, How do you sex Pogona sp. ???? :rolleyes: :)

great care sheet, well done. Yep definatley need a how to sex section.

Thanks for the feedback guys :) i'll implement a "how-to-sex" section if i can (depends whether i'm allowed to edit it).

Well, there are a number of visual clues to sexing, one is the base of the tail (a wider base indicating a male), the other the angular or narrow nature of the head (angular indicating a male), but a superficial look at the vent is IMO 90% effective. Males have a large "dent" beneath the cloaca (i think i've got my terms right, someone let me no if im mixed up :S) whereas females have nothing. It's also important to note that sexing only becomes visually possible after the dragons reach about 10 months of age. Before this probing is the only sure-fire way, and even this has its flaws (apart from occasionally being dangerous). There is a technique known as "popping" where one is able to "pop" the hemipenes (lizard penis) into view, but I've never needed to perform this procedure, so I never have!

males have two hemipenal bulges below the vent whereas females just have a dent

The "dent" i refer to is an inward dent found just below the vent in males. The females have an outward dent which is generally ignored, as it is barely visible, except in much larger dragons. As for the hemipenal bulges, seeing as i deal with a smaller species of beardie (Pogona minor minor) i have never actually found them visible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back