how to destroy our dearly beloved ..

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
CO2, get it from gass suppliers, i think hire 4 a year is about $100, dunno about refills tho, just connect it up to a box witha couple of small holes in it for oxygen to escape and i use to do that for about 3mins

With holes for the oxygen to escape? What's to stop the precious CO2 that you have just purchased from escaping?

If you've got lots of rats/mice to cullget a large 60L bin, fix a hose to the side at the bottom where you will pump the gas, cover it with mesh that they can't chew/escape out of, then get a sheet of perspex to lay on top of the bin so you can see when you've put enough CO2. Mind you...you have to put shavings in the bottom of the bin cause (understandably) they freak out and stress and poop everywhere as they're suffocating. I saw a pic of it being done this way from Hugsta...but I can't remember him having air holes in the top of it?

My personal favourite method though is - getting on the phone and ordering some freshly prepared frozen mice and rats and handing over my cash :D

With holes for the oxygen to escape? What's to stop the precious CO2 that you have just purchased from escaping?

Carbon dioxide is denser than oxygen, so the carbon dioxide displaces the oxygen and goes to the bottom of the container.

If you've got lots of rats/mice to cullget a large 60L bin, fix a hose to the side at the bottom where you will pump the gas, cover it with mesh that they can't chew/escape out of, then get a sheet of perspex to lay on top of the bin so you can see when you've put enough CO2. Mind you...you have to put shavings in the bottom of the bin cause (understandably) they freak out and stress and poop everywhere as they're suffocating. I saw a pic of it being done this way from Hugsta...but I can't remember him having air holes in the top of it?

My personal favourite method though is - getting on the phone and ordering some freshly prepared frozen mice and rats and handing over my cash :D
If gassed correctly they should not freak out. You are sposed to give them a low dose hit of CO2 first, to induce them into a relaxed/sleepy and then unconscious state. After that have drifted off you hit them with a big shot and they die extremely rapidly.

If you just stick them in and hit the gas then they get the feeling of suffocation.........however, by gently raising the CO2 levels first it would be the same as a person being locked in an airtight room. It's quite peaceful and you gradually drift off to sleep without the feeling of being suffocated/unable to breathe and then die in your sleep.

This is, provided that you do the gassing in the 2 to 3 steps as mentioned and not zap them straight away. Just sticking them in and going full throttle with the gas is just as cruel (albeit more rapid) as sticking them in the freezer, hence their freaking out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back