how to hibernate snakes without a thermostat

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

blake_da_snake

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hey i hav a yearling diamond an 2 7 month old bredlis the bredlis are outside but the diamond is inside how would i hibernate these help thanks
cheers blake

what part of the country are you in?
very different procedure if you are in darwin as opposed to melbourne.

ask TrueBlue , he is the EXPERT when it comes to thermostat's :wink: :lol:

I would've thought that outside they would get the natural temperature drop/shorter days (depending on location). Not that I'd know, I've really gotta learn to shut up in forums I know nothing about LOL

For a start give it a wide range of temps to choose from and keep your timer in tune with the natural daylight hours of where you live.

Rascal's right though, we need a bit more info before we can advise you.

at 7 months I wouldnt bother "hibernating" the Bredlii. If the diamond is about the same age ditto.
You could follow the temp rends from their original localities if you wanted to. They dont hibernate like Northern Hemisphere herps and will often sun themselves on warmer sunny days. Even Australia alpine species of elapids have been observed basking in the sunshine while there is snow cover on the ground.

How easy will be to answer some of the questions and adwertisments if only people would fill in location in their profiles.
Town would be good enough.

I think what Slatey was saying was it would be great if people edited their profile and put the general location in there.

Yes David.
I know that people are woried about feft, I had my snake stolen also. But I think that if you people edit your profiles and put in at least state you are living in, we all will avoid lot of confusion.

I just had a look in my profile and i couldn't work out how to do it. Help please?

Yes just go to Account Settings (top of page) and edit Your Information.

I just have to say that if anyone is worried about theft...DONT!!! eg Sydney South as in Slateys case does have a hell of alot of houses to search... Same goes for me.. Anyone that wants to find me in the Brissy/Gold Coast Area.... Start Looking:p:p:p

Surfcop24 said:
I just have to say that if anyone is worried about theft...DONT!!! eg Sydney South as in Slateys case does have a hell of alot of houses to search... Same goes for me.. Anyone that wants to find me in the Brissy/Gold Coast Area.... Start Looking:p:p:p

I was certain that I saw you as I was flying over on my way back from the Sunshine Coast this afternoon!!! :)

And my diamond has been hibernating outside in Campbelltown for the last 6 years. There is also a wonderful section in the help section on here about hibernating Diamonds but you just need to convert USA months to Australia months.

Thanks for your approx. location Blake.

If you're in Campbelltown, which is within their natural range, then I recommend that you keep your Diamond outside in the long term.

I'm still learning myself but from what I've read and learnt from experienced Diamond keepers like our resident guru Serpenttongue, then it's highly recommended for their longterm health.

Just take care to protect them from temperature extremes like cold winds from the south (inc. SW & SE).
I've found that they're sensitive to chilling wind and can get respiratory infections if exposed to them. They can be treated for this successfully if caught early, but prevention is better than cure.
So the enclosure needs alot of thought & a serious windbreak.

Not sure about the bredli though, as I don't keep them.
You're obviously well outside their natural range though so I would think overwintering indoors. Hopefully some bredli keepers can help you with what to do with them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back