how to tame a lace monitor properly

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daryl_H

Reaction score
was hopeing to here from some people that have tamed a lace monitor from a young age when i say tame i mean they are happy to be picked up and moved/handeld under a meter long as i have a 2 ft 6 month old bells laceie that is not to shy but am haveing trouble getting him to walk out the enclosure and onto my arm not quite there yet but looking for tips;)

You really need to give the animal some time to settle into it's new enclosure and familiarise itself with it's new surroundings.

Then I would start letting it get to know you. Don't ever reach in and grab it. Let it come over to you. Establish trust.

I've tamed a lot of lacies (even got the one in ssnakeman's video started) and one thing I can definitely say is that you'll do much better if you don't expect it to be tame before it's a metre long. That way you will not push the issue and you'll gain the animal's trust.

The best thing you can do is to leave it alone, never force handle it and slowly encourage it to approach you rather than vice versa. Start off using food as an enticement, then later you can disassociate yourself with food and start using a wander outside the enclosure as a reward.
[video=youtube;PxeB8kYPP0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxeB8kYPP0A[/video]

WOW crocdoc thats awesome. wish mine were like that. they just want to kill me as soon as they see me. haha. just wondering if the animals are housed in doors all year round? cheers (mine are pit raised from 1 year old)

hey croc doc how long does it take to teach a lacey the geting out of cage routine must take a lot of patients

I've tamed a lot of lacies (even got the one in ssnakeman's video started) and one thing I can definitely say is that you'll do much better if you don't expect it to be tame before it's a metre long. That way you will not push the issue and you'll gain the animal's trust.

The best thing you can do is to leave it alone, never force handle it and slowly encourage it to approach you rather than vice versa. Start off using food as an enticement, then later you can disassociate yourself with food and start using a wander outside the enclosure as a reward.
[video=youtube;PxeB8kYPP0A]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxeB8kYPP0A[/video]

thankyou very much very helpfull... will send pm shortly

Thanks, everyone. Yes, this pair lives indoors all year round, although the male has been out in the great outdoors a few times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back