Hungry Beardie?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cougars

Reaction score
My Beardie is 30cm long and has a big appetite.I feed him crickets,mealworms,bugs ,vegies and Rep cal pellets.He will keep eating whatever i put in for him,is he eating due to being hungry or eating just because its there? How much should i feed him in a day?

cheers

Personally I'd try putting it in a dish away from him...so if he's hungry he'll have to search for it and then eat when he finds it.

Gives him a reason to walk around as well.

how old is your beardie....30cm...?
is it vitticeps or dwarf?

most baby dragons need to eat everyday, but alternate the feed.....mon=veg,tue=woodies,wed=mealworms
thurs=veg,fri=crickets,sat=earthworms,sun=nil....etc
if over 5 mnths the dragon can have a nil day a week...if over 8 months 2 nil days pr week(this is depending on the structure....weight to length of your dragon
if he is eating well....still growing....dont worry!...most would envy you
at 12-14 mnths..they slow down with eating...
mine at 12mnths-adults have live every 4 days,veg every 4 days ......mon=veg...wed=live...fri=veg...sunday=live etc
but at this stage...they can consume....between 30-90 pr live mal of woodies or crickets..depending on size of feed

if he is eating well..that says you are doing a great job with him...well done!

if hes not fat just keep feeding him, i'm endlessly amazed @ how much young beardies can eat.

I have a female beardy that will eat heaps and heaps! And the male might eat one or two woodies and be happy. I would say just keep varying the diet as much as you can. If you are feeding every day, you wont need to feed him large amounts.

If possible, feed hi live crickets/woodies in a separate tank so he can run around a bit and get some exercise

Ok thanks for the replys.I dont know how old he is.Im going to give the crickets in another tank ago so he can chase them around.

cheers

Is your beardie 30cm total length??
We feed our beardies weaner mice as well as veg and cockroaches. If your beardie isn't satisfied with just insects/veg try feeding it mice (dead of course!). This may satisfy it for longer.

mice should only really be used for gravid females or desperately underweight dragons, or no more than one a month as a treat.

if ur dragons eating so well, just give him more salad (as in healthy greens, with beans and butternut pumpkin which fill them up nicely), by the time hes an adult his diet should be 85% veg anyway.

I think that mice are very good for nourishing beardies. They are a complete meal and really help to put weight on. Also once they have had a mouse they don't need any more meat/insects for probably a couple of weeks. But, I do agree that their diet should be mostly veg/fruit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back