Huntsmans

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Love them!
Always lived in queensland and always had these critters crawling around growing up.
They generally keep to themselves, though this little guy wandered into my bathroom.

Oh boy, that photo made me jump - I think because someone's holding it. I hope Phantomreptiles isn't still looking at this thread...

My friend used to keep them as pets when he was a kid, he lived over the back fence from me and he would often have them crawling on his arms. His father was out with his mother one day, she was a learner on her motorcycle, and she stopped at a roundabout and wouldn't go. When her husband pulled up next to her and asked her why she wouldn't go she pointed to the tank of the bike and said "huntsman!" Her husband flicked it off and they kept going.

How did you get so used to them, Ingie? It might be a handy skill to have around here.

:shock:

I don't know lol. I just like them. I like touching them. As long as they don't touch me without me expecting it..... My way younger little brother went though a stage of catching them in empty cricket containers and he left his collection in my room cause Mum had no jurisdiction in there lol. At one point there was about 10 and I made him let them go cause I got sick of feeding them all. My tarantula died and I want another one!!!

There are lots of huge golden orb weavers around my garden. Maybe 15 at least. The webs are SO strong and sometimes yellow. They are so beautiful to watch but creepy when they move their webs to places I walk at night lol. It is like walking into a web of cotton.

Last edited:
So I just moved to this place in the country and every day I have more than one huntsman of varying size ON ME.
There are a lot around here and recently the place has been exploding with babies. Now, while the adults are creepy... I cant stand the thought of how many babies I eat/breath in each evening while asleep.

I am SICK of having spiders on me :(

We used to have a heap round the house but this year they seemed to have cleared off for some reason which makes me a tad sad, I adore the fuzzy 'little' creatures ;)

I've found them in all the usual places, on walls, ceilings, floors, cars etc. Once I was cleaning out some of the snake tubs and as I went to grab one I felt a furry morsel on the side of the tub, long behold I had a prettyful huntsman in the palm of my hands, about the span of my palm, I kept him and named him Hansel (his to-be gf Gretel was already in another tub lol).

Another incident occurred at the timely hour of 5am on a Sunday morning, mum had an early work start and soon as she opened her car door spotted a lovely huntsman occupying her seat :D Mum being a complete arachaphobe raced into my room screaming and trying to rouse me to a semi conscious state with which I staggered out to the car parked in the middle of the street donning cookie monster pjs, cupped the little guy in my hands, then let him go walk about in the garden, thennn stumbled back into house, crashed back into bed :lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
i didnt mind them in my house, however my EWD would go nuts in his enclosure when there was one in sight. i started letting him free range and the spider population decreased significantly

ALL spiders in or around my house that i see are taught to swim in mortein, or they become covered in snow

**Shudder**

Not a huntsman story but when I was little I played with a funnel web....

I saw this black thing curled up (I assume it was playing dead) and I stupidly thought it was a burnt bit of hay (***? Stupid 5 year old.....), so I poked it and tried to pick it up. It ran (luckily in the opposite direction to me), which scared the crap out of me so I screamed out. Someone squished it.

Tons of huntsman stories, I just leave 'em as long as they aren't on the wall above my head when I sleep. I'm happy to let them roam around the place.

Spiders are actually rather similar to reptiles in the fact that they're misunderstood.
I have no problem whatsoever with the little chaps.

Agreed with dear Sinners121 with regards to beardy food, though.

Now I don't mind spiders, I usually let them be, I often explore drains and can see hundreds of redbacks on a given night.

I know hunsmans are generally harmless but if there is one in my house it'd probably terrify me.

We had one in our homeroom in high school that we called George and I was one of the few people who would sit at the desks that were near him. Although the thought of one roaming around my house or bed for that manner, while I am sleeping makes me ill.

Not really a story about spiders per se, but when my older brother was 4, mum (who might I add was young and irresponsible) asked my brother if he wanted to see a movie about spiders (he used to like them). She took him to see arachnophobia at the cinema. Apparently he couldn't sit on the toilet or sleep for weeks which cause all sorts of problems.

great beardy food

Really? Time for me to get a beardie!

I could never spray them, I find it too easy to imagine what it would be like to die of poison. Plus the poison then gets into the ecosystem, which is bad, bad, bad.

We had one in our campervan once. Now, compared to my mother I am part of the huntsman cheersquad. She will not rest until she knows it's dead. However, it was dark and this huntsman, adept at hiding in the nooks and crannies of our van, would not sit still long enough to be killed. Fair enough; I'd hide if someone was trying to kill me too. So we had to continue our journey with a huntsman somewhereon board. Being the brat I was, I kept touching her on the shoulder from behind going "didddle-iddle-iddle". To make her even more miserable, when the huntsman did appear the streetlights would often throw a huge spider shadow across a surface of the van.

I don't think we ever found that huntsman.

Last edited:
Terrified of them!!!!!
Had one in my room three nights ago, had my housemate in there gassing my room. Could not go back in until she found it.
I get the sweats, feel faint the works, even pics scare me.....:-(

hahaha that sounds just like me, they scare the living daylights out of me :shock: why I even looked at this thread is beyond me, I guess it was curiosity..LOL
Got to page 2 and there is a picture of one, literally fell of my chair, bahahahaha I am soo very brave (not!)

I am not a big spider fan but i used to get them on my hand then chase everyone in my house with it.. My mum is completely scared of spiders its too funny!!!

Petrified! Of all spiders to be honest but the bigger they are the bigger my reaction. I generally end up in tears!

I like spiders. I dislike huge maneating hairy monsters that push the definition of the word "spider". We get them in our house regularly, my mum always catches them and releases them, but recently she got sick of doing it so often that the last time she found one she just used bugspray. She used half a can of mortein and the huntsman didnt even slow down.
My mum was walking recently and felt a sharp pain in her toe, she took of her shoe and a dead squished huntsman fell out.

Karma right there ;)

I just found one today,...a small house spider I think I'll grab a pic,...as I do with everything

I have no great love for spiders but I don't mind them much.if I find one inside I just leave it be.roaches on the other hand...so glad the cats eat any that are in the house.
my boyfriend is getting an Aussie bird-eating spider soon.he may be keeping its tank in his office at work to keep people out.more effective than a sign on the door

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back