Hypo Genetics!! PLEASE EXPLAIN! lol

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Webless

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Im so confused here guys.. i need to understand this!

[h=1]Heterozygous[/h]

= Contains 2 Genes, EG. (Black gene + White gene) Yes?

[h=1]Monogenic[/h]= mono- ( one,Singular )
"Is one gene"

Het... I take it stands for Heterozygous.. SO a HET albino Python contains 1 normal gene and one Albino Gene Yes?

Does this also means that a Hypomelanistic python contains 2 x Defective Melanin Genes?

SO Python pairing of ( 1 Normal python + 1 Hypomelanistic python ) could have Young that could have 1 dominant (working) Melanin gene + 1 defective recessive melanin gene? Making them appear normally Pigmented

Meaning that if 2 of these were to mate they could both give a percentage of Hypomelanistic Young with both the defective genes.

If so.. Why is it that a Bredli for instance cannot carry the Hypomelanistic Gene but be normally coloured? I was told this in a post earlier.. Can someone clear this up for me?

The hypo gene is usually expressed in either a co-dom(like a jag) fashion or polygenic(like a snake linebred for a particular look), not a recessive (like an albino) fashion. Therefor the whole 'het' situation doesn't apply to you.

it also depends on the mode of inheritence. is it recessive? co dominant or polygenic?
to my knowledge hypo bredli are polygenic, meaning you need 2 hypos to create hypos, no "hets"

it also depends on the mode of inheritence. is it recessive? co dominant or polygenic?
to my knowledge hypo bredli are polygenic, meaning you need 2 hypos to create hypos, no "hets"

Okay, i understand, So where do all these hypo Bredli come from? and where did the first ones come from if you need 2 hypos to make one?

Just at a glance, I think you have the whole 'het' thing clear enough.

The basic answer is that 'hypo' is a label that is thrown around all the time when describing light coloured reptiles of all kinds. But in Aussie reptiles, I don't believe there are very many established examples where it is a monogenic trait, that is, "controlled" by one gene like albinism is. It seems to be a polygenic or line bred trait, an appearance that is created by a whole pile of genes working together. I believe hypo bredli is one of these kind of hypos, that has been line bred.

So if there isn't one gene for 'hypo', then the snake cannot have only one copy of that gene, and be het for hypo.

Okay, i understand, So where do all these hypo Bredli come from? and where did the first ones come from if you need 2 hypos to make one?

People breeding lighter coloured bredli together, then raising up the offspring and pairing some of the lighest ones back over the parents. Repeat several times.

to be honest i don't know. polygenic is also called line bred, how did people get striped jungles? they line bred them for that particular trait. now it could be co dom but again it isn't proven (to my knowledge).

just had a glance at a complete carpet python and it says in the morph section it is either a co-dom or polygenic (line bred) trait.

Okay awesome! thanks guys Killimike You put it in terms I understand! thankyou mate. We need to be calling them Something different i think.. Hypo is too broad a term me thinks..

Heterozygous means two different alleles (short for allelomorphs), not genes(!), of the same gene being present in a population. The opposite is homozygous when only a single allele is present in a population. Inbreeding depression is caused by too many homozygous genes in a population (i.e. low genetic variation). With reptiles this doesn't seem to be as much of a problem, as an albino python can be bred with it's siblings for several generations without any noticeable health problems. But of course, that doesn't mean there aren't or couldn't be. It's always best to breed unrelated individuals wherever possible just in case (unless your line-breeding, trying to breed a colour morph etc.).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back