Hypsilirus Spinipes SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE,Show us ya.......

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

salebrosus

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
Can anyone help me with finding a boyrfriend for my little Thelma? She is dropping eggs all over the place as she has done for the last 2 years or so. I am in desperate need of a male for her. Preferably adult but so long as it's a male i am not too fussed on age. While we have an influx of "Show us ya.........." threads can anyone post some pics of either their Southern Angle Headed or Boyd's Forest Dragons.
Thanks all!!!!!!!!

Simone.

RE: Hypsilirus Spinipes SOMEONE HELP ME PLEASE,Show us ya...

hey simone :) I just bought my first southern forest dragon yesterday its so cute he/she is only 3 months old any tips or advice you can give me would be most appreciated cheers

just thought of a question :) what plants do you have in your enclosure i was gonna put some sago palms in his/her enclosure but am a bit weary on what to use?

will take some pics of my 2 new boys maybe tomorrow simone...they're only new and ive already harassed them today trying to get them to eat lol

Well Thelma is the very first herp i bought. I made the mistake of not changing her UV lighting after 6 months. Not long after she got a slight kink in her tail- the vet told me she wasn't getting UV and so therefore the calcium powdered crickets were pratically useless. She use to sulk quite alot also, and even in the coldest days of winter i would see her in her water bowl asleep. So cold once i thought she was dead. I have small rocks in there at the moment-that peat moss tends to get into their eyes and causes all sorts of problems. The kitty litter isnt bad or just plain paper or fake grass. I use three fake vines in the enclosure and its a Reptarium from the Herp Shop. Thelma has really become alert in this cage and loves it. She runs up and down the sides all day. She has two water bowls- one for crapping and soaking in the other to drink from.......she tends to crap in the big bowl and drink from the smaller.
Food wise when she would all of a sudden stop eating the waxworms worked miracles. Silkworms is another favourite and all those zoo med tinned sauteed bugs she loves as well. She gets meat, lettuce, banana also. AND she loves small snails.
Ummmmmmmm i'm sure i'll think of more once i have submitted this post.

Simone.

Congrats Zoe on your two new beasts- they are awesome lizards BUT OH don't feed em crickets that are too big for em. Hatchling spinipes only give em small crickets and no mealworms..
just from personal experience.

BeardyBen, i only use fake stuff cos i'm worried about anything carrying parasites or causing any sort of problem to my girl- i get really paranoid about thats sort of thing. Hope the info helps

Simone.

Simone, contact nuthn2do on this site.
He bought 8 of mine from early this year, they'll be colouring up in a while and he'll have had them for 6 months around June / July.

abc.sized.jpg

abu.sized.jpg

thanks fotr the tips simone. MAGPIE is that sphagnum moss as a substrate?? can you recommend any good plants to use in their enclosure? i have sand at the moment as the substrate is this a good idea or bad idea? any advice on keeping these little guys would be appreciated cheers Ben

I kept mine on sphagnum over coir.
I would NOT use sand, they do not come from sandy environs.

Thanks for your help Magpie, i might have to try the sphagnum moss also. How ofte do you change it?
Thanks Mate,

Simone.

About once every 3 months.
Spot clean it every day and replace it when it gets grotty.

im off to get some sphagnum moss now cheers Magpie :)

You can also try making a pillow of shade cloth stuffed with the sphagnum moss.
Crickets cant hide as easy and it avoids impaction.
The big thing about using sphagnum moss v sand - apart from impaction - is the humidity benefits - if you are using sand as a substrate, how much thought have you put into humidity levels???

not alot of thought actually AD but as I said I got him On Sunday. for the humidity i use a water mister in the morning for about 15 minutes. will ditch the Sand for sphagnum moss tonight.

ive actually got mine in a herparium thingy atm just as a temporary enclosure but now i see simone's using one permanently, how do you find the humidity? and how are you providing uv? cos i keep thinking i'm gonna rust the frame of the damn thing lol. i was gonna get em a glass tank and use palm peat for the substrate cos i figured humidity would hold better :?

the room it sits in his very humid anyway- i don't even have to worry about it. The room gets alot of direct sunlight but doesn't cook the room.Its just shear **** that the temps and humidity is just right. The frame for this thing i have is plastic too. I got it from Herpshop and it's awesome. I leave a uv bulb resting on the top of the enclosure. Thelma is very very happy in it. I used that peat stuff twice and both my forest dragons got it in their eyes and caused minor problems so i ended up ditching it. Does anyone know if the sphagnum moss is acidic? Someone once told me it was so if anyone else can add to it i'd appreciate it.
You are going to love watching these lil guys grow Zoe.

Simone.

they're already grown simone! the 2 i bought are adult males :D :D :D

the room mine are in is quite cold and i have worried about that but i'm told not to heat them! it got down to 15 degrees last night! how many hours is your uv on for?

i leave UV on from about 7am till 5-6pm-----i always use to heat mine and was later told not too. They seem to be pretty comfortable at room temp. In the middle of winter Thelma and her late sister Louise would sleep in the water bowls. You'd swear they were dead until they warmed up in your hand and started snapping at you.
Sorry Zoe, my mistake-----i'm a bit more than blonde lately.....hahaha

Simone.

If you're room temps get below about 18C, I reccomend either heating them or not feeding them (brumating basically) until temps get back up again.
I'm no expert on this but I do know of someone who had a lot of trouble getting his young 'uns to grow at low temps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back