I eat roadkill

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Doesn't bother me, I took a roadkill roo back to work to feed the animals and had it been a larger roo I would have gladly taken some home for my own dinner :)

what was that old saying again? "Waste not wan't not"?
anywho don't really see an issue here unless it's putrid, rotting flesh (sans maggots of course), meat IS meat however you look at it

funny how some people label his practice as "cruel"

When emus became rare in the Daly/ Pt Keats region (pigs knock the blokes off the nest and eat the eggs) the senior TOs met and decreed that only old people could eat emu. The rule still stands and the young fellas no longer run them down for a feed.

The population hasnt increased but it hasnt disappeared either.

I call that resource management.

Just putting up a slightly different road kill story.

id eat it, but i dont think id be brave enough to cook it myself.. incase it wasnt cooked properly and ya get sick. but id definetly atleast try some.

Why would you get sick though, do you think animals killed by a car are somehow less healthy than those killed by a bullet?

I've deliberately not avoided a contact with a wallaby when I've had a lot of surprise passengers without supplies on a long drive.

They're yummy, if you have time to cook them in a ground oven do. Great food,

Me personally I need to see the event (or feel the thump) before I partake of roadkill.

*shrug* whatever floats your boat. Such is the economy at the moment we'll all probably be eating roadkill or similar in years to come anyway. I agree with snakeynewbie; at least with a rabbit roadkill casserole you won't be picking shot out that you've missed.
Throw another burger on the grill?

*shrug* whatever floats your boat. Such is the economy at the moment we'll all probably be eating roadkill or similar in years to come anyway. I agree with snakeynewbie; at least with a rabbit roadkill casserole you won't be picking shot out that you've missed.
Throw another burger on the grill?

Only those of us who don't have rifles and or fishing gear.

Rabbits might become very popular as roasts and stews again before long.

Too true ianinoz. Bear in mind though I grew up in a very redneck community where the local standard was 'point, click and disitegrate' rather than 'sit and aim' lol. Game was a hazardous meal for one's teeth ;)

Love to eat rabbit. Dont want any live ones anywhere near here, they've reached Tennant Ck. and that form passes urine as a dry solid. Hat's off to the buggers, they've absorbed our best attempts to knock them off the perch.

How is that not having respect? Is it more respectful to eat a cow who has destroyed the creek banks on the farm and contributed high levels of run off nutrients into our river systems cause algae blooms etc?

Personally I think eating oerwise wasted meat is a lot more respectful than consuming mass produced animals and that's why I keep my meat consumption of things like beef to a minimum, roo for me wheneverpossible

Granny out of the Beverly Hillbillies used to serve up roadkill LOL

Ive eaten roadkill rabbit and my dogs will get any roadkill worth bring home.
The one and only time ive eaten snake was a roadkill.
It's aaaalll good.

Me and a friend had to get our stomaches pumped after eating a dead fox that we cooked,
but it gave us food poisoning.
That was no fun from what i can remember of the night.
We were young,very drunk and not real smart back then.

Last edited:
I'm with Steve on this one, only if it's just been bumped!

Me and a friend had to get our stomaches pumped after eating a dead fox that we cooked,
but it gave us food poisoning.
That was no fun from what i can remember of the night.
We were young,very drunk and not real smart back then.

LOL, I once left a young friend to look after my block in Wyndham for a few days, came back and he and his mates had eaten all my canned dogfood, with the same result! Whenever I saw them after that for the next week, everyone would start barking at eachother:).

Obviously living in a place where i can just go to the butcher for my meat, i dont need to find road kill.........but i guess it isnt suprising that people do make use of it........although i never would.......im not a huge fan of meat at the best of times though. I actually just found the article a little funny though.......like just picturing a 14yr old waiting for mum & dad to leave so he could cook his rabbit & eat it secretly........at 14 i waited for my parents to leave for different reasons! ;) The way the article was written also to me made the bloke sound a bit like a pyhsco killer in the making! :lol: Just my opinion though!

I don't see anything wrong with eating basically anything...but stuff from the bush could have all sorts of bugs and nasties in it. Many, many years ago when my mum growing up, and she was 90 when she died 3 yrs ago, she lived in Broken Hill, she used to eat rabbit and kangaroo tail soup....they were poor, food was food. But actual road kill....mmmm, like I said before... whatever floats your boat !!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back