I like snakes, but .....

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tropicbreeze

Reaction score
Last night when I got back from my evening walk something caught my eye under the house (it's an elevated house). So while I like snakes around the place, I'm a bit ambivalent about Deaf Adders.
ap-mr-120507-10.jpg ap-mr-120507-09.jpg ap-mr-120507-08.jpg ap-mr-120507-06.jpg ap-mr-120507-04.jpg ap-mr-120507-03.jpg

I've heard rumor that they were originally referred to as "Deaf Adders" due to the fact that that they would not vacate your path when approached. How true that is, I don't know though!

Oh - when I read it I put on a real cor blimey cockney accent...

Yer, der was a deaf added on the frog and toad.... (did no one else think that? god, I am sick of having Eastend parents!)

Oh sweet find! I've never seen one in the wild even tho I lived in places where they were apparently abundent. The only reason they kill is cause people don't see them and step on them. Now you know it's there you can look more closely when you walk!

Nice find. I seem to be Death Adder challenged when it comes to locating these in the wild even though like Manda1032 I have spent several years in apparently prime country (namely Mount Mee in SEQld).

Gavin

found a few over the years when at the beach looking in the washed up sea weed. The Death Adder is probly one of my most fave snakes.

Oh - when I read it I put on a real cor blimey cockney accent...

Yer, der was a deaf added on the frog and toad.... (did no one else think that? god, I am sick of having Eastend parents!)

They would have said a plank and ladder on the frog and toad surely?

Nice looking snakes. I understand being a bit ambivalent about having them around a house, but unless you go messing with them it is the one you don't see that could be a problem. Either way nice to see you decided a few pictures was the best course of action. :p

I've never seen one in the flesh and hopefully I don't ever have to. I also love my snakes but vens or anything deadly and I'm outta there like a shot. No trail of dust behind me I run that bloody fast! :lol: Nice find though and great pics.

Thanks for the many (and varied) comments. My take on the name is that it's popular to throw "death" into the name of something for the drama effect. Sort of like let's make it the "Death Lion" or the "Great White Death Shark". Perhaps even the "Death Drop Bear". I try not to get involved in that sort of hysteria even if it eventually becomes an accepted common name. After all, common names are just common names.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back