I need some ideas/advice please?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

fairy09

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Hi Everyone,
My hubby and I would love some help please. Now I must say we are NEW to ALL THINGS CREEPY AND CRAWLY (lol). The boys do have 2 Wuelfing (sp?) Stick bugs and 3 Leaf insects and they are loving that. Up until the recent death of their hermit crabs (which were around 3 years old) they had them also. SO we have the hermit crab tank sitting here empty. It's Measurements are:
15.5cm's high, 46cm long and 30.5cm wide.
SOooo we were wondering what else could the boys look at getting as pets to put in this size tank. The tank is all glass with a glass lid and we are happy to do some modifications if necessary. They don't want crabs again so rather then have a tank sitting here doing nothing we would like to put it to good use. OPen to all sugestions. Thanks heaps:D

do you want something terrestrial, aquatic or semi-aquatic?

if they want lizards and you dont have a licence to keep them and am not sure if you want to take that step in getting one go some Oxelotals (mexican walking fish) there awsome.

if they want lizards and you dont have a licence to keep them and am not sure if you want to take that step in getting one go some Oxelotals (mexican walking fish) there awsome.

Axolotls are not the easiest to keep though, they need cold water, anything over 20c generally leads to death so they probably wouldnt go well in a scorching SA summer

ooooooooooo not sure open to anything at this point!

---------- Post added 07-Jan-11 at 04:36 PM ----------

I would be happy to get a license or what ever is needed. I woudl have to research further etc but happy to do what ever is needed thanks.

I kept them in central qld many years back, the only problem I really had was them jumping out of the tank and getting carpet burn on there poor lil bellies.

O dear well that doens't sound good and being the tank is only 15.5cm's high it woudl happen all to often but thanks anyway.
Any more suggestions people??

I think you will find that the tank doesn't really suit any reptile as it simply isn't high enough to hold anything hence the axolotles idea.
At this point I too will announce a newbie status so I'm happy to be over ridden by someone with more expirience.
You may be able to keep scorpions if your state allows it or giant bush cockroaches maybe, but unless your willing to upgrade the enclosure as the animal/s grow then you might be stuck with another batch of crabs.

Best of luck in your search.

Ok my boys like the Scorpian idea I iwll have to look into them further unless you or anyone is happy to share what you know. Cheers

Ok my boys like the Scorpian idea I iwll have to look into them further unless you or anyone is happy to share what you know. Cheers

If your boys want a scorpion pm me :)

OK we looked at some scorpians and read about them and the boys decided No (and so did their mother lol) but want to know about Geckos?? Any ideas???

---------- Post added 08-Jan-11 at 02:43 AM ----------

Ok after a lot of research and chatting with others we have decided on thick tailed geckos and we are so so so excited. Now to set up the tank and get it ready to go.
Cheers and a huge thank you for all your help.
Sing out if anyone knows someone who sells them?

Ok Thanks everyone we have decided on Thick tailed Geckos and we are so excited we have found a couple and they should be ready for their new home in a week. We are so excited.
CHeers

nice choice tickys are great little geckos not as shy as levis levis but still have the great colours

Here is the enclosure all finished waiting for our new family members
18012011(001).jpgThis is the Tick Tails finished enclosure.
16012011(004).jpgnot the best quality of photo's from my mobile phone sorry but you get the idea.
We have been very busy settign up my son's fish tank as well as making a second story for the stick insects as they had out grown the glass enclosure.
Thanks for looking.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back