I need urgent help with my lacey! :'(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mesh is what keeps the animal in and also give you somthing to tie or fasten the lighting to . May I ask what your using for uv ? As I can't see anything in the photo you have given

Kupper, good for you, for taking this animal back. No lacie should ever fall into the wrong hands, as this one unfortunately did.

Josiah, do you realise what a majestic beast you have in your care? You're very lucky. But you've downgraded the beast to an enclosure that isn't worthy of it. Your enclosure looks like a desert. Young lacies do far better on a substrate of moist mulch/coco-peat, not sand. This certainly would have helped with the shedding.

I'm not sure about your heating, and I see no body blisters in the photo's you have provided. I use 100 watt reflector globes and allow my animals to get closer to them (the globe being 15-20cm above them), and have yet to see a burn or any other skin problem on any young lacies that I have raised. You may even want to put a heat mat under the tank so the monitor can always have a warm surface to lay on.

It's a shame that you may give up on a very rewarding species, but it's probably for the best.

I'm yet to take the animal back serpenttongue as the money went into spencers monitors a few days after the laceys departure , the priority at this stage is getting the husbandry right a clearly it was never right to start with

Are you using a spot ?, if so, that would explain any blistering. I'd switch to a flood or, even better, two or three floods. Your aiming for a hotspot of 50c plus ! Add plenty of hides and a decent layer of slightly damp (but not wet) substrate and leave the animal alone. When you next feed, simply chop up an adult mouse into bite sized pieces, place in in a small container and LEAVE the animal alone!! You should be keeping handling to a bare minimum.

I would slide that large log closer to the heat globe so it can perch itself under the globe. I would also secure that globe more properly.

what should i use as a sub straight? im trying to fix them all up now.

Go to Bunnings and buy coco-peat. It comes in bricks. You put the brick into half a bucket of water and it will expand into a substrate. You may need a few bricks to fill your tank. Make sure you have a few good logs so the monitor can get off the substrate if it pleases.

Last edited:
07062010151.jpg07062010150.jpg07062010146.jpg07062010149.jpghe07062010145.jpghere we go guys i fixed up Jerome's house. let me know what use think and any thing i should change about it. i am getting a lamp cover so it sits on top of the mesh lid. the light is a 100watt globe. should i keep that one or get a higher one.
thanks everyone hope this pleases everyone :)

More to the point, it should please Jerome (love the name!). He's a cute little guy! Saw the pics in the other thread.

And good on you for copping a bit of flack, but doing the responsible thing and fixing it up for the sake of your pet!

Only other small thing is to get a digi thermometer to check the temps.

Josiah - relax mate - people here are trying to help you - no need to cop attitude. You've been told what you need to do - so do it. Who the hell buys an animal without knowing how to keep it anyhow? Obviously you have - so how's about pulling your head in, taking the advice from the people that know - and be on your way?

another thing - who cares if your enclosure pleases people - the main thing is that your lacey is happy which it seems it isnt.

I personally don't see Kupper doing or saying anything wrong, he checked that you knew what you were doing - everything seemed above board - yet here you are showing that you have no real idea or you think you know better which clearly you don't. And you're complaining you spent so much on the lacey? Man - if that's the case, why did you bother in the first place???

To determine whether or not a 100 watt globe is sufficient, you really need to check the temperature at the basking spot.

that looks better.i live up in central queensland which is alot warmer than victoria ,and i use a 150 watt flood light for the basking sites for my lacey and spencers and it is only about 20 cm from the ground.they like a hot "hotspot" and it keeps their appetite up.so if he isn't eating,dont be afraid to give it more wattage.
cheers
simon

guys i am sorry for giving additude. i seriously wanna thank everyone for there help. Jerome seems to like his new house, i just put him in it. taking him vet on Saturday just to check the blisters are nothing bad. will be buying heat mat and buying a thermostat so i can always check the thermostat.
again thanks everyone. will keep updated with the vet report.

More to the point, it should please Jerome (love the name!). He's a cute little guy! Saw the pics in the other thread.

And good on you for copping a bit of flack, but doing the responsible thing and fixing it up for the sake of your pet!

Only other small thing is to get a digi thermometer to check the temps.

haha yeah copped it hard :p

Josiah - relax mate - people here are trying to help you - no need to cop attitude. You've been told what you need to do - so do it. Who the hell buys an animal without knowing how to keep it anyhow? Obviously you have - so how's about pulling your head in, taking the advice from the people that know - and be on your way?

I would have thought changing the enclosure immediately, and re-posting pics to check whether the new set-up looked correct to those with experience could be considered "pulling his head in"? He's done the right thing, so why give him flack after the fact? :rolleyes:

@Kristy_07: I actually wrote that post while I was reading Pg 3.

And at the end of the day, even if the problems are slowly being fixed - the original questions still remain.

also - the pull your head in question - was exactly that - a question - I was asking why he doesn't take the advice and act on it rather than trying to give attitude and argue. It's a simple question that has no logical answer given the experience shown.

and I wanna point out I'm not trying to offend josiah - just curious as to why you'd give attitude to people that were trying to help.

Last edited:
So good to see someone actually listen and make the required changes in the same day ?!?!?!!?!?

I really hope he goes well. I have held that Lacie and it is a beautiful animal. Let it settle and you will be more than happy with it.

@Kristy_07: I actually wrote that post while I was reading Pg 3.

And at the end of the day, even if the problems are slowly being fixed - the original questions still remain.

also - the pull your head in question - was exactly that - a question - I was asking why he doesn't take the advice and act on it rather than trying to give attitude and argue. It's a simple question that has no logical answer given the experience shown.

sheesh, It's not like I abused the guy.

Perhaps you should have clarified in your next post that you had been reading page 3, and hadn't gotten to the part where he took everyone's advice and fixed the problems?

You're right, it does sound as though josiah didn't do quite enough research. But, even if he did, he still could have run into problems once he got the animal if he's new to keeping monitors. These things happen; it's how people learn how to be good keepers. I didn't say you were abusive, but there's no reason to flame people just because you can, particularly if you have nothing constructive add to help fix the problem. Just my opinion ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back