Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

whcasual79

Reaction score
as i was heading out to the shops this evening, bout 6pm, just as the sun went down, there's a shortcut that takes me to the bus stop ... i was just bout to enter the short route when i spotted 2 snakes slithering away ... i was amazed to find out that these 2 snakes were actually rough scaled snakes... Tropidechis Carinatus .... i know these species are more so found in rainforest habitats but have heard a few stories before of them being found in brisbane .... only regret, wish i had me camera on me ha ... looks like happy days for me and herping times ahead ...

just wondering of anyone else have spotted these species round brissy as they are considered potentially fatal ...

cheers

G'day mate,

There are a couple of isolated lowland populations in Brisbane. What suburb are you in? Are you sure they weren't the much more common Keelback?

G'day jonno and australis ...

yea mate the first 3 thoughts that came to mind were the keelback, common tree snake and rough scaled ... i did a bit of research (went thru books and net) and found out info that makes me 80-85% sure it was a pair of rough scaled snakes

the snakes i saw were brownish to olive with irregular blotches of darker brown, kinda like childreni. Couldn't see the belly or eyes but i was close enough to notice the scales... the scales had a sorta raised keel which sorta lead me to believe it was rough scaled snake.... as keelbacks have more defined scales... (ps correct me if im wrong)

im in the belmont area where there is a lot of bushland ...

hope that helps??

I should've picked it up as keelbacks may release an odour from their anal glands if they feel their threatened ha ;)

G'day mate,

Unfortunatly I think they were Keelbacks. Even top herpers sometimes have to have a second look to differentiate between the two.

If you were close enough to see keeled scales you should of looked for a more crucial one.. at the sharp end.

cheers mate, either way i was stoked to find snakes around here ...

what makes you think they were keelbacks tho?? i might be going back to have a look tomorrow so any signs i should look out for??

plus aren't keelbacks semi water based and there's no rivers or any waterways near where i saw them...

cheers

i could've if it was facing me ... rough scaled are front fanged yea??

Their front fanged - yes, but thats not what i was alluding to, it was a light hearted comment on scalation
difference between the two, a difference that once spotted will help you quickly differentiate between
elapid species and colubrid species... the loreal scale.. also something easily captured in a photo.

This thread might interest you.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/snake-skin-id-120707

Anyways, don't be discouraged - get out there and take some photos.

Cheers,
Matt.

Their front fanged - yes, but thats not what i was alluding to, it was a light hearted comment on scalation
difference between the two, a difference that once spotted will help you quickly differentiate between
elapid species and colubrid species... the loreal scale.. also something easily captured in a photo.

This thread might interest you.
http://www.aussiepythons.com/forum/australian-snakes-37/snake-skin-id-120707

Anyways, don't be discouraged - get out there and take some photos.

Cheers,
Matt.

cheers mate will defo look at that thread .... i've never really seen any snakes round here the last 2 years i been in this area ... all i seen is tons of cane toads.... so yea was a bit excited to find out what the snake was ....

ave a good one fella

bret

DSCF1797.jpg

DSCF1172.jpg

DSCF2474.jpg

These are pictures of keelbacks ...the bottom pic shows the loreal scale ,which is in the middle between the eye and nasal (this snake died and is dead in this pic)

the loreal scale is what you need to know ..as if you happen to do come across a roughie ,and mistake it for a keelback ....ooooops wont cut it ;) ...roughies are elapids and dangerously venomous.

nice pics RBB ... was he dead before or after u got him??

yea jason, gotta watch out for that 1 eh ;)

went back to the spot and scouted the area for more snakes, but to no luck ... it is a pretty thick marshland and im sure there's alot of snakes that come out there at night ... hurry up summer ...

cheers for pics again

nice pics RBB ... was he dead before or after u got him??

yea jason, gotta watch out for that 1 eh ;)

went back to the spot and scouted the area for more snakes, but to no luck ... it is a pretty thick marshland and im sure there's alot of snakes that come out there at night ... hurry up summer ...

cheers for pics again
the top two pics ..they survived ..one was roughly handled and even though they can drop their tail ...this ones tail was basically ripped off when they went to catch it,bleeding stump ...its stump healed well , and I released it ...the second was a cat attack but fortunantly the owner of the cat was on hand and got it off quickly ,so a few puncture holes at the end of the tail ..healed really well and released ...the third on the other hand,bad cat attack lots of injuries and sadly it died over night ...

the top two pics ..they survived ..one was roughly handled and even though they can drop their tail ...this ones tail was basically ripped off when they went to catch it,bleeding stump ...its stump healed well , and I released it ...the second was a cat attack but fortunantly the owner of the cat was on hand and got it off quickly ,so a few puncture holes at the end of the tail ..healed really well and released ...the third on the other hand,bad cat attack lots of injuries and sadly it died over night ...

i always knew there was a reason i never liked cats ... so am i right in assuming (and also from jason's comment) that keelbacks are very common snakes in brisbane areas???

Where you're at WH, you're not far from Birkdale? Some of the wetlands there are great places for GTS.

Keelbacks are commonly found ,more so then roughies ..but as was said ...becareful anyhow cause you certainly dont wanna be making an ID mistake ...if you go herping and you spot a keelback ...take along a magnifying glass in your bag ...that way you can really check out for a loreal scale ..sometimes especially with the juvies it is hard to see ,the roughies do have a squarish head shape but still mistakes can be made ...check out water courses and places like that for keelbacks ,they are beautiful snakes and never have I come across a cranky one yet ..oh and I have done dog damaged snakes to ...most times its not even gonna last a few hours if it survives the intial attack ...other times they end up with busted backs ..some can be healed with a busted back ,if treated early enough and not loss movement below the break ...some have to be euth'd due to the severity of the break and damage so its not just cats ...
I had a BTS that was left in a cupboard 2 weeks after a dog attack ,they thought it would go on its way ,not realising this snake couldnt get to water and it had severe swelling and puncture holes...it had a busted back ,which was calcified so ,I cleaned the wounds ..gave it TLC and was able to release at a later time ..it will always have a lump and about 10cm of its back below the injury was not right ...but he did have full end use of his tail and was able to get around with a slight handicap ,his cloaca and bottom half of his tail was all good ..

Last edited:
Where you're at WH, you're not far from Birkdale? Some of the wetlands there are great places for GTS.

im at belmont ... right between carindale and wynnum fella .... are you at birkdale?? birkdale sounds familiar .... yea as i went deeper into this "marshland" area, u could just tell there would be snakes in hiding ... so many thick bushes ... plus spotted a little creek too .... so that gives a good backing up that it might've been a keelback, cuz the do spend some time in water yea?? correct me if im wrong....

cheers acrochordus .... yea defo in the mood to look for more ... just glad to see snakes round here...

cheers RBB ... will defo get a set of magnifying glass ... can't wait for the weather to heat up a bit more....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back