i tamed my perentie

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yer handling IMO is possibly the worst thing you can do.
He should have about 5-6 hides and never take him out of them, or lift hides up.
Otherwise that hide is no longer "safe" in his view.

^omg its going to take all my patience every little bit I have (thats not much lol) to stop myself from lifting the hide and picking him up . Why are they so scared ?^

Young monitors consider everything to be a threat. Especially a giant hand trying to grab them.

As Jannico said, if you lift their hide etc. they will completely disregard that area as a 'safe' zone and it will only add to their fear of you, making it a longer process for them to trust you.

If you don't think you will be able to resist holding/touching/grabbing it then I suggest you don't buy one to be frank...

your perentie is very nice Id like one but there exspensive and need a huge encloser once they grow

There's no set time. My V.t.Orientalis, took nearly year too hand feed and my mates took about 2 months, then again I didn't spend much time with it and it was in a plastic tub (opaque)

My Mitchelli would of took from me sooner, I just didn't think to try before hand.

Not sure if this is true, but some species will "tame" down quicker and easier then others but I think it's more variable to the individual monitor. Also they reach a certain size, where their confidence goes through the roof.
Either way. The more patience and time you put it into it the better it will be :).
You don't need to handle your reptiles to enjoy them, I don't know why handling is such a big factor when people buy them.
They aren't kids or dogs.

Getting them to feed in front of you is the first step or even with you in the room.

Last edited:
you don't tame reptiles, reptiles tame you. true story.

Torah, this is the pay off :)
260520111196.jpg

He's just come out of his dry enclosure and is a bit cold, so he isn't as active, but he sitting on my hand with no restrain (I'm not holding him at all)
I'm still not holding him as a type this and he just being curious about my room.

Although he is cold, he could run away no problem.

There is no bond or any crap like that. It's just him trusting me, knowing that I am not a threat to his survival

Gorgeous little monitor there Jannico

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back