Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

copperhead

Not so new Member
Reaction score
Yesterday, i think it was, i woke up to find my tiger snake mating with the copperhead he was staying with. I didn't think it was possible but it happened (see crappy pics attatched). I sent an email away to the leading herpetologist in tassie, Ian Norton, heres what he had to say;

"I've never heard of it, although some have suggested that hybridisation is
perhaps a possibility given that the taxonomy of the two species is in fact
similar enough to suggest reclassification of Austrelaps to Notechis. If
indeed the mating proved successful, it would be a defining moment in the
evolutionary history of herpetology in Australia. Hang onto that copperhead,
I'll be interested to see what if anything develops."

so hopefully it was successful and we'll see what develops.

Attachments

• mating 001.jpg
    mating 001.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 178
  • mating 002.jpg
    mating 002.jpg
    62.9 KB · Views: 186
WOW double WOW,

This is very interesting i wonder if any fertilisation will take place?

Donk

sick, what do you put on your liccence if they breed like under the code number

yooooooour joking!!!!.....well lets hope nothing comes of it.....

defining moment in evolution......OMG I wish I could say what I want too....but i will say something Imo thats a very silly thing to have done and even more silly to hope that it would produce offspring.

Dont you think that it may be of importance?

If they were to breed in captivity (and im saying a big IF) who is to say that they are not "bumping uglies" in the wild.

Im not 100% sure but i think both species distribution is fairly wide and cross commonly.

Donk

Most venomous snakes are reptile eaters so it's suprising they didn't have a go at each other.

The pics you took arnt really proof of a mating unfortunatly, looks like they might be going through the motions but...nahh but yeh stranger things have happened i spose.
I hope nothing comes of it,and im sure nothing will

forgive ignorance, being a python chick,,,,,..(with little in depth knowledge of elapids)...,, do they have the same kind of young ie, eggs/live.
even my limited understanding of biology would tell me that an egg layer and a live barer could never interbreed (despite all the stupid roumers that tiapans are breeding with coastals pfft)
so Q is do they both have eggs or live young?

both live bearers pythoness,but still very different.Thes two have occupied the same habitats in the same areas for a very long time and it hasnt ever occured naturally, that i know of.
The people at n.e.r.d. would definiatly be able to achieve it artificially i would imagine,but theyre still to busy with comas etc..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back