If she's eating could she be gravid?

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Davem54

Reaction score
My mac could be gravid as she has been with a male. She has been belly up sometimes but then she started taking a mouse?. She is normally a real guts. She shed a week ago. Should I keep feeding her ? Any ideas?

i personally wouldn't feed her but i haven't bred before and i think the food can get tangled up with the eggs and you may lose both

Yes, She could well be gravid, alot of snakes will take food if offered.
Bare in mind though, that just because she has gone belly up, doesn't mean she is gravid, they do it out of breeding season sometimes to.

One of my young Womas sits like that quite often. It definitely isn't a sure fire sign of being gravid.

Yeah, don't feed her if you suspect that she may be gravid as it can cause her to be egg-bound and you could lose her.

I've had snakes feed the day before eating, never had a problem. I tend not to bother offering food to them but i figure if she wants to eat why not let her, they know alot more than us about whats going on inside them. In the long run it won't hurt them if you don't feed them.

Elapids and colubrids will feed right up till laying with no ill effects, but pythons on the other hand is a very different story. Most will stop feeding when gravid because of the risks involved, obviously they know this. But the odd one will and this can be very dangerous. At least 50% of pythons I have seen feed once gravid have lost their lives and eggs. Touch wood this has never happened to me but have seen this a numder of times with freinds animals.

lol i waswaiting for someone to pick that up, i typed that last night while i was half asleep. We looked at it this morning and were laughing at my stupidity :)

Anyway i meant the day before laying :)

Thank for all the info. Its a big help. She is normally a real guts and can easily catch up on any weight she losses later. I wont feed her till after the 15/10 which is the 24 days from when she shed.I will let yall know what happens. She was half belly up last night and is 3/4 belly up this morning. Hopefully it will go well and I will end up with some eggs.????

damn, thats pretty belly up! i don't think you could get much more belly up!

I was thinking that too! Even her tail is upside down lol :lol:

All that info was helpfull. It turned she was defininitely was gravid as she layed 12 eggs last night no problem. I am real real pleased as I haven't done this before. the eggs are in a mates incubator.

Congrats Dave! I so love that top photo lol...she looks so cute completely upside down :lol: ;)

hi dave,
great pics, all the best,

cheers,
steve.......

I think it's to cook the eggs better but don't laugh at me if that's a really retarded answer lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back