I'm a newbie....so i thought i'd say hi!

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Critta

Not so new Member
Reaction score
hi everyone,
i,m soon to be getting my first snake, a spotted python. so i thought i'd see if anyone has any hints or advice that might help me :)
thanks

HI Critta, Welcome to AP&S.

Spotteds are great snakes to keep, what do you want to know in particular? Ask away...

Hi Critta, welcome to AP&S.
When getting any python, make sure it has a solid feeding history and has had at least 2 sheds. You dont want to get a python with feeding problems, it will cause you drama.
Cheers Andy.

thanks for the welcome guys :)
the one that i'm looking at getting is a great feeder he/she is a fiery little thing at the moment.
any tips on handling, heating and feeding would be great. what sizes do they reach usually?

i dont know that much about snakes
but spotteds reach about 1.5m

the best way to feed is to put the rodent in a bowl and then run the tap water over it so it goes through a few diff temps then when squishy feed away

i have 1 more question (for now, lol) i have a heat mat for my enclosure, most people i have spoken to have said to put it underneath the enclosure, however this is a problem because my enclosure has a thick wooden base and there is no way the heat would get through. what do i do?

I'm a beginner too but I've got a little six month old spotted and i would recomend getting everything you need before the python eg heat mat, a couple of hides, thermo thing :0), water dish, not too big a home. Once you have it home i would suggest putting a top in that you have worn for while so he/she associates you scent with home and comfort and will be less likely to strike. There are some great books on childrens pythons that wouldn't hurt reading. Enjoy, they're great snakes.

spotted

Hi and welcome. That was good advice from Stergo. I never thought of some item of mine but my girl is nearly 17mths old and has never given me any trouble. Just saw a baby spotted this afternoon. You can keep him/her in what we call a click clack, buy them from Bunnings or crazy clarks for $10. It has 4 clips so it is escape proof and she will be able to stay in there a long time. He had his in one container today and she is 12mths old. You could put the heat mat under that container but if you use that wooden base thing then I suggest you put it under a substrate such as the fake grass at Bunnings.

thanks very much thats a huge help. i already have the heating, hides, water dish, substate etc, i'm now sitting here with an empty tank waiting for my license to come through so i can pick up the little fella. getting VERY impatient. lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back