I'm getting old :(

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: Re: RE: I

If you can handle the drive Cape Shank or Cape Liptrap (near wilsons Prom) are the place to go for abalone. Yes, I know you can get them in the bay but they are pollution magnets. Remember your amature license and stick to the bag limits.
If you get a day with the strong north-east winds (they occur this time of the year) you can dive on the west side of cape shank. There is a 12 meter drop off right up against the cape with caves at the bottom full of crays.

Sounds like an awesome dive! I might have to check that out!!! I sometimes eat abalone from the bay :shock:
The bag limits for abalone in my opinion are very generous and despite there sometimes being hundreds, I usually don't even take enough to fill my quota as I only want so many. If it was legal for me to sell them on the other hand..... :D :lol:
I've seen abalone poachers a few times, it really makes me furious, but they're often literally armed and dangerous, so I've never confronted them, although a couple of times I've put on the stupid act and gone up with a friendly smile to have a chat.

But if you do dive that side expect a visit from oscar (he should still be there). He is a big black ray over two meters across with a tail as thick as the top of my leg. He is fairly harmless but will try and share your abalone. He can get pushy. If you want a real buzz try and hand feed him an ab, its like feeding a pteradactal.

I've seen large rays on dives, they're amazing! I had one about the size of Oscar swim right up to me, it was mind blowing having a leviathan of the ocean come up to me like that, a really special experience, even a little scarey, although when I moved towards it the ray immediately departed much faster than I could manage (towards swimmers in the shallows!). It would be so incredible to have a friendly one like Oscar come up and interact with you.

What does Abolone taste like ?

Probably like chicken

It tastes a fair bit like cuttlefish, which tastes much like squid or octopus, but with a nicer texture. Nice to eat but not worth the insane prices it demands.

the bag limits for abalone in my opinion are very generous
They are in Victoria - the bag limit 10 abs will feed about 4 people. In SA the bag is 5 but we don't need a fishing tax, sorry license.

What does Abolone taste like ?
Abolone tastes like Abolone :) Proberly the closest description is a high-quality calamari/lobster mix.
I've seen abalone poachers a few times, it really makes me furious, but they're often literally armed and dangerous, so I've never confronted them
Report them, if possible and safe get the car/boat rego. DON'T CONFRONT THEM, IT IS TOO DANGEROUS. I remember diving along Brighton pier and every single ab over 5cm had been taken the day before. They shucked them underwater to hide what they were doing.
It would be so incredible to have a friendly one like Oscar come up and interact with you.
Its not so much he is freindly, its just he wants food. I thing they have trouble with abs if they are stuck on rocks but will happely steal your catch bag if possible. If you want to offer him an ab, approach from the front and careful of your fingers. Rays don't have teeth but neither do car doors.

Just out of curiosity, what is the legal bag limit? and i thought it was illegal to collect it??? maybe it is in nsw. ?????

Ok, i just saw Fuscus post, but my other questions still stand..lol

They are in Victoria - the bag limit 10 abs will feed about 4 people. In SA the bag is 5 but we don't need a fishing tax, sorry license.

Yeah, and since the only people I eat abalone with also dive, I keep all that I collect, so one trip is a few meals for myself, no need to get greedy :)

It's pretty silly that it gets called a 'license', same as the Victorian wildlife 'licenses', they're permits as far as I can understand.

Report them, if possible and safe get the car/boat rego. DON'T CONFRONT THEM, IT IS TOO DANGEROUS. I remember diving along Brighton pier and every single ab over 5cm had been taken the day before. They shucked them underwater to hide what they were doing.

Yeah, it's never been safe for me to dob them in. Jokes aside, I value my life too much. I'm suprised I've been daring enough to go up and talk to them. One time I was very suprised, they were shucking them in the open in a no take zone. Those guys are really dangerous, it's probably pure paranoia, but I'm even a little scared typing that I hate abalone poachers in a forum like this. Funnily enough, every abalone poacher I've ever seen has been asian.

So is that how you are going to die sadji a spear from a poacher ?

Probably not.

ahh, just found out what this Abolone is. hmm, neva new what it was.

Quote:

Are you gonna keep me guessing ?

Sdaji answered:
No, you're free to stop whenever you like.

hahahhahhhahahahahahhhahahhahhaahha that was funny,
So I know how you are going to die Sajdi... Someones gonna spell your name right and you are gonna die of shock...lol

lol, sjataia can u just die plz mate ;) , stop us from guessing?

I love you guys ;)

ROFLMAO, that was an awesome call SG. love u to mate sdaty.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back