I'm Having The Worst Run

Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum

Help Support Aussie Pythons & Snakes Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PhilK

Very Well-Known Member
Reaction score
First my cat gets into the sandswimmers and almost kills one... It didn't die but it was pretty sick for a bit.

Next my male central netted dragon dies in his enclosure - suspect slate shifted and trapped his head..

Been at uni all day today and came home to find out from mum the cat ate my OTHER central netted dragon, Miguel...

Please no 'irresponsible owner' comments.. I feel bad enough as it is. I'm really, really upset because those two netteds were my first ever lizards, and Miguel especially was such a character and a really lovely animal.. Why do all the bad things happen at once?

RIP little buddy, I'm sorry. I hope you had worms and gave them to the cat.

That sucks mate. Really sucks. Maybe do some enclosure upgrades?

I love my cat but they can be a pain in the butt. We have a cat room and a herp room and the doors are never open simultaneously - household segregation seems to be the most effective management.

I love my cat too, but not at the moment! I can't really put a roof on the enclosure because of the way the light is situated. It is anchored externally but hangs into the enclosure..

I know it sounds insensitive but I really want to get two new central netteds as soon as I can.. I loved those two and would love some more, and I honestly think it's the best idea whenever losing a pet..

I have PM'd Shannon on this site as she has gorgeous netteds.

Oh man that sucks. But i know what you mean by it all happening at once.
I lost one of my Brushtail possums that i had reared from a pinkie, he was due for release next week....:(
Don't know what killed him but it really hurt. Proberly because i was stll upset about losing my beardie.
Go get more netteds, it'll make you feel better.
I'm on the look out now for another beardie.

yeah its all not fair sometimes!
chin up - things happen in 3's so hopefuly your in for some better luck now :)

Know how you feel, my most wanted reptile keelbacks I got a couple of years ago.

Friend said if he ever sold them I'd be the first call, I was and i got my tax back that day so it was an easy decision.

However they all died in two days, because of goldfish that had been treated for whitespot.

And I knew they had been treated but didn't think it would be a problem :(

So I was very very upset with myself, so sympathies to you mate. I've been able to get hatchies again but it's not the same as these were an adult trio.

D

I love my cat too, but not at the moment! I can't really put a roof on the enclosure because of the way the light is situated. It is anchored externally but hangs into the enclosure..

I know it sounds insensitive but I really want to get two new central netteds as soon as I can.. I loved those two and would love some more, and I honestly think it's the best idea whenever losing a pet..

I have PM'd Shannon on this site as she has gorgeous netteds.
i wouldnt get anymore UNTILL u can figure out how to put a top on the enclosure other wise the same thing might happento the new ones

thats awful, i know what i'd be doing to the cat,....

hope ur ok,....sounds like things really do suck at the moment. :(

sounds like your lizards have had a worse run than you have Phil...:|

Totally agree with Zoojas & Gecko:), please don't buy anymore until you have a secure environment for them. It is unfair on the animal to put it in constant fear of being caught & eaten.
The cat won't give up now, he will be more curious than ever!
Get it sorted & then you can rest assured your reptiles are safe. So can the reptiles:D
Cheers, James.

I can get it sorted by closing my door in my room, so that isn't an issue. The only reason why I didn't have it closed is because he has never shown even the slightest interest in my dragons or snake or anything, even when I've had them out with him right next to me.. the very same dragon has been sitting on my lap with the cat right next to him.. Didn't even sniff him so I assumed he'd be OK. Can't take the jungle out of the cat I guess..

Cheers for all the helpful comments guys, totally sucks right now.

Use mesh of some sort so the heat can get in but keeps the cat out.
Just takes someone to go in your room & leave the door open by accident.

Who would knowingly sell you another netted with out takeing proper precautions?

Sorry for sounding mean, but I wouldnt, not with just keeping the door closed.
The cat knows now its fun in your room, he will be back!

Jason

Don't worry the cat won't be back, and yes I will probably mesh the top of the tank - I do have a lot of flyscreen lying around from making roach tubs. The light hangs down into the tank though, and it's a big one with a large collar, so I'll have to get around that.

Wish I knew why he had no interest in the dragons for months and months and months and then all of a sudden decided to have a go? Odd.

Sorry to hear about your dragons :(

Ive got an enclosure with my heat lamps above a wire mesh lid, seems to heat it just fine. Test to see if you can keep heat up with the light above, just provide something to let them get close to the heat.

Or you can rig up a light built into a wooden lid pretty cheaply..which ive also done

Anyway i wish you the best of luck with your new dragons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back